Help! I have the farts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnionMan

Reaction score
I have a batch of carmel Apple cider fermenting. Came home today to the foul smell of rhino farts. The LHBS was closed today so I couldn't pick up any yeast nutrient. I won't be able to get any until Wednesday. Will the cider be ok till then or am I screwed?

Your cider is fine, but I'd be more concerned about your nostrils! Bad smells will go away on their own. I've also heard you can use brewer's yeast, or nutritional yeast as a substitute for yeast nutrient. Can anyone else verify that?

Yeast are pretty cannibalistic. If you've got dead yeast of any kind laying around, that will work. Nutritional yeast is usually very dead before it's been packaged.

EDIT: x2 on your cider being fine. You frequently don't even need yeast nutrient in cider.

I've had a couple of high OG brews go stinky. They finished just fine though.

So I should just let this sit unrolled it smells better? I was concerned because the recipe calls for it to be bottled after about 14 days.

So I should just let this sit unrolled it smells better? I was concerned because the recipe calls for it to be bottled after about 14 days.
You should bottle when it hits FG. I wouldn't bother with the nutrient unless your fermentation stalls though. It is a good thing to keep on hand though, so if you don't have any you might want to pick some up.

Since you're here Mike, whadya think? Too stinky to bottle?

Since I see you now have some nutrient, add it, and wait. No point in bottling stinkbombs. If you miss the target SG, no big deal. Just backsweeten to taste, general consensus is 2 - 3 cans of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate and the cinnamon syrup mix.

I'm going to be giving the recipe a rewrite soon, with a couple tweaks here and there. One of those tweaks will be adding the apropriate amount of yeast nutrient at the beginning.

Mike, we have tons of fresh cider available here in NEPA (as I'm sure you do too). Would I be better off concentrating fresh cider or just use store bought stuff?

Latest posts

Back