Want to start growing my own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Re hops easyish to grow where is a good place to learn about this for a person who knows nothing about it?

Good Soil(add manure and compost), Lots of sun 6-10 hours per day, Some type of support stsyem to allow bines to reach 12-20 feet. Great Lakes Hops also sells "starter plants" rather than rizomes. Im not an expert but I did harverst 10 pounds wet from my first year plants. :)

You are in the right place...lots of help on this forum and links here to other information on the web. Hops are pretty easy to grow, are hardy plants, and can survive someone without a green thumb. To start you are going to need either some rhizomes, a crown, or a whole plant. Rhizomes are cheaper, plants are easiest, crowns in between. I did rhizomes and had no issues getting 10 plants to grow, though one died from disease. Rhizomes are usually sold in spring, but you can find some dealers that sell for fall planting. You are going to want to clear and area, add manure and good soil, maybe some compost. You will make hills and plant your rhizomes in them according to directions (eyes up). You will need a pole or house or tree to hand some twine from so the plants can grow up them. Keep reading this forum and you will be an expert in no time.

I second Great Lakes Hops! I ordered a Cascade and Centennial last fall. Both have put on a lot of hops so far. It's not harvest time yet so I can't give a weight of the crops. The plants were in great shape and a lot of hops for a first year crop.

heard nothing but good bout Great Lakes Hops, I personally had good experience with freshops.com best time to order is early spring. figure you want em in the ground when the first pirennials come up in your area(lol id say after fost danger is done but that does not apply to you). Im sure if you sent either of these places an email they would be more than willing to work with you and tell you the best time to plant in your area. or keep digging in this forum, plenty of GA growers here that will help out.

Can you control the size of your plants or do they just grow huge and you gotta cut them back. I have a limited yard for growing due to wooods I also don't brew a large amount of brews I'm relatively new to brewing

Back