Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just made the adjustment on my Frigidaire chest freezer, put in a plastic bottle of water and am waiting to see what the temp goes to! It was so fraking easy, I can't believe it. I didn't even have to open anything up. There's a temp adjustment dial on the side, I pulled it off and under a little piece of tape was the screw! Gave it about 10 turns and we'll see what it does. If it starts freezing, I'll turn it the other way.

Hats off to the OP again. This thread BEGS to be a sticky!

Just made the adjustment on my Frigidaire chest freezer, put in a plastic bottle of water and am waiting to see what the temp goes to! It was so fraking easy, I can't believe it. I didn't even have to open anything up. There's a temp adjustment dial on the side, I pulled it off and under a little piece of tape was the screw! Gave it about 10 turns and we'll see what it does. If it starts freezing, I'll turn it the other way.

Hats off to the OP again. This thread BEGS to be a sticky!

Keep me updated on your progress, ChshreCat. I'm well into my 3rd week of set screw adjustments on my Frigidaire...sounds like I have the same problem as a few above with the temp swinging wildly between ~32 and 50. Can't get it to settle anywhere between. Probably going to throw in the towel and get a temp controller if I can't get it nailed down in the next week or so.

How are you measuring the temp? I was getting wild swings just measuring air temp inside. I went with a small bottle of water and it's more stable now. I think a larger mass will be even more stable.

How are you measuring the temp? I was getting wild swings just measuring air temp inside. I went with a small bottle of water and it's more stable now. I think a larger mass will be even more stable.

I have a dial thermometer in a bottle of water, and a glass lab thermometer measuring the air temp inside the freezer. They've been correlating pretty well, actually. I also have a 5 gallon bucket and three corney kegs full of water in it to provide some thermal mass and smooth out the temp swings. Still no such luck, though. Let me know if you hit your target! I'd be happy with anything between 38-42 at this point.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I ordered another stc 1000 and saw this thread about 2 days later. My 20+ year old montgomery ward freezer i bought off craigslist is keeping 5 kegs at 39f. 1 gallon of water is at about 36f or 37f. Took all of 2 mins to pop the dial off and adjust the screw. Guess i can sell the controller!

Keep me updated on your progress, ChshreCat. I'm well into my 3rd week of set screw adjustments on my Frigidaire...sounds like I have the same problem as a few above with the temp swinging wildly between ~32 and 50. Can't get it to settle anywhere between. Probably going to throw in the towel and get a temp controller if I can't get it nailed down in the next week or so.

Good news - I think I'm finally getting my freezer dialed in. It's holding between 38-39*F right now. I did a couple of things the other night that I think helped out:

1) Wired up a computer fan that I plan to install during my Keezer build and set it on the compressor hump to help circulate air.
2) Did more miniscule set screw adjustments in a more intensive manner. Previously I had been adjusting the set screw with 1/8th-1/4 turns at a time, letting it sit for a day or so, then turning another 1/8th-1/4 turn clockwise or CCW depending on whether I had over- or undershot my temp. I spent a couple hours in the basement near the freezer cleaning some homebrewing equipment the other night. The freezer was holding around ~32 so every time I heard the compressor kick on I would unplug the freezer and turn the screw just enough to hear the compressor switch click off. This resulted in some very minute screw turns and eventually the correct set temp - I think I had just been way overshooting the temp range I wanted with my previous method.

Now to decide whether I want to get greedy and go for 40*F or just be happy with ~38.5... I sure would hate to screw it up and go through another 3 weeks of fine-tuning.

Glad to hear you got it all worked out! :mug:

I had to do some serious turning on my set screw also. I think I cranked it 8 full turns the first time, then about 2 turns the opposite way to correct my overshot. Your circulation fan probably helped out a lot as well. That was the last thing I added to my keezer before I plugged her in.

Glad to hear you got it all worked out! :mug:

I had to do some serious turning on my set screw also. I think I cranked it 8 full turns the first time, then about 2 turns the opposite way to correct my overshot. Your circulation fan probably helped out a lot as well. That was the last thing I added to my keezer before I plugged her in.

Gah, I think I spoke too soon. The temp started creeping up, was sitting at 44 this AM. Then I took the lid off my 5-gallon bucket and realized there was a large mass of ice in there that was likely keeping the freezer temp colder than what the thermostat was regulating. When I saw 38.5 degrees it had been a good 36 hours since I adjusted the set screw so I figured I was dialed in. I think I just caught it at the right point on the slow return to 50*F, though. So back to the drawing board....I'm so damn sick of futzing with this screw!

For those that have an old freezer with the 'cut in' and 'cut out' screws, I wanted to let you know that I have decided to make an ebay aquarium controller for mine, but the same process should work.

I have given up on mine because the max temperature seems to be about 34F, as soon as I turn the screws higher, it just goes off and does not come back on.

To adjust yours, you just need to follow the same procedure, but turn both the screws in the warmer direction. Once you get there, you can change each individually to dial in your hysteresis.

Trying to adjust freezer I have attached a pic of what I think is the screw

I have a Kenmore, no idea where i got the other name from...

image-2730878498.jpg

image-4036154204.jpg

I'm still futzing with mine but seem to be zeroing in on it. Very small adjustments with long periods of time in between for it to stabilize seems to be the trick.

Thanks vince805 for the pics of the 7.2 Figidaire, I turned the screw 4 turns cw last night and checked this morning, it was at 35.5. I tweeked it a little more and will check when I get home today. Thanks again to the OP.

Thanks to the OP for posting! This saved me the cost of a temp controller so i figure I'd post how I got mine working.

Just bought a GE 7cuft Freezer Model FCM7DUAWW.

Shot of the Thermostat:

I unscrewed the side vent and pushed in the clips to pop out the themostat.

Once the themostat was dangling out I found the set screw. In this pic it's the top screw in that oval on the side.

It took around an entire week to get the temperature set high enough. I first turned freezer to the warmest setting. Then I screwed the set screw in(clockwise) 3 turns, let the temp stabalize over night. Repeated that over several days. Eventually I got to a total of 11 turns and the freezer temperature was sitting at 48 degrees F at the warmest setting. I wanted the temp down around the upper 30's so I put the thermostat back into the freezer and used the front dial, raising the setting up(cooler) little by little to adjust the temp a little cooler. It didn't take much and I got the temp down to 38 degrees F when the dial was at the 1.5 setting.

It takes some time and patience to get the temperature correct since the freezer has to adjust temperature overnight. But if you take your time and let the temp adjust lowering it little by little then it can be done. =)

Goodluck and Cheers!

I have this same model and I screwed that coarse adjustment in all the way and it wont get above 10 degrees. When i screwed it the other way (counter-clockwise) it just made it colder.

Any thoughts? Did you do something else that I just missed? I did put a pot of water in the bottom to see if that helped at all.

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

FYI- you can do this mod to the Sanyo 4912 minifridge with ease. The screw is located just to the left of the fine tune control knob.

EDIT: This actually doesn't work on the Sanyo. I'm 99% sure i'm adjusting the correct screw, but it will not let the temp go above 50 degrees no matter what.

Started tinkering with my GE 7CU last night, I only have a quart of water with a dial thermometer in it but it seems to be holding right at 35 degrees. The compressor kicks on about once every 2 hours (so far) and kicks off within 10 minutes. Since I don't have a huge thermal mass (4 full kegs) would it be safe to say the kegs will get that low as well? My next test is to toss three kegs with water in them and see what temp they hit over a two day period.

Beginners luck I guess...

I just received my 9cf Frigidaire yesterday and located the course adjustment screw within 2 minutes covered by a piece of white tape right underneath the dial.

Gave it about 10 cranks clockwise and set the units temp control at about midway. I filled up four spare kegs I have with water and dropped them in. I put a big glass of water on the hump with a floating thermometer in it

Right now after 24 hours...my temp is 38F

I'm still waiting for the delivery of my faucets and shanks to build my top and coffin, so I have a bit more time to watch it...but I think I hit the sweet spot right off the bat :)

been messing with this. if the compressor is running, and i have a frozen jug or water, when i turn the screw the correct direction, the compressor should shut off????

I just picked up an older White Westinghouse for next to nothing, and it took me about 20 minutes to find what I am assuming is the coarse screw adjustment.. it was behind the thermostat dial and inside the thermostat housing.. instead of being a big, beautiful obvious screw, it was a tiny little tadger that I needed to use one of my jewelers' screwdrivers on.

Just FYI.

I've got 2 gallons of water and a thermometer sitting inside it. Hopefully I don't have a block of ice come morning...

I really should have stopped while I was ahead... after my initial turns, I'd hit 34F. Since then, and even with using half and quarter turns, I've been all over the place.. from room air to mid-20's.

I'm now using the fine adjustment. Hopefully that will work.

Has anyone had to completely disassemble the coarse adjustment screw to get it further? As in, beyond just popping out the housing itself? Still can't seem to get mine to warm up.

I may gave the temps dialed in... kind of..

The range spans from 26F to 46F. That's a bit too broad.. looks like a Johnson Controller of sorts for me.

Mine is driving me nuts. It's at 32, so I adjust it a tiny bit. Then it goes to 32.2. I adjust it a tiny bit. Now it's 32.9. Adjust it a little more... 33.4... adjust it a tiny bit more... 65 degrees! Same thing when adjusting it the other way. Little adjustments make little changes until suddenly it's freezing up again. And I'm leaving it for a day in between each adjustment to let it equalize.

Mine is driving me nuts. It's at 32, so I adjust it a tiny bit. Then it goes to 32.2. I adjust it a tiny bit. Now it's 32.9. Adjust it a little more... 33.4... adjust it a tiny bit more... 65 degrees! Same thing when adjusting it the other way. Little adjustments make little changes until suddenly it's freezing up again. And I'm leaving it for a day in between each adjustment to let it equalize.

are you using a digital thermometer in liquid or just measuring the air inside?

I find mine says between 1.5 and 3.3 C consistently. now I can turn my fine adjustment knob some more and get a warmer temp, but I like a colder beer. I can always let it warm up if its to cold for my liking.

-=Jason=-

are you using a digital thermometer in liquid or just measuring the air inside?

I find mine says between 1.5 and 3.3 C consistently. now I can turn my fine adjustment knob some more and get a warmer temp, but I like a colder beer. I can always let it warm up if its to cold for my liking.

-=Jason=-

Digital probe thermometer in a bottle of water.

What temperature are you trying to end up at? If I were you, I'd bring it back to 33.4 and then adjust my fine adjustment to the max setting and see what happens.. Assuming that you have a fine adjustment on your freezer. What make/model freezer are you using?

What temperature are you trying to end up at? If I were you, I'd bring it back to 33.4 and then adjust my fine adjustment to the max setting and see what happens.. Assuming that you have a fine adjustment on your freezer. What make/model freezer are you using?

I'm just trying to shoot for something around 40 or just under. I get close, then it suddenly jumps 20 degrees. The fine adjustment doesn't seem to make enough difference to do it.

It's a Frigidaire, not sure what model.

Well damn. I have one Analog Johnson and I just recieved a Digital. Now I find this thread!

I'm going to try it anyway! :)

One of the awesome things about this hobby is the ancillary stuff you end up learning.

I'm just trying to shoot for something around 40 or just under. I get close, then it suddenly jumps 20 degrees. The fine adjustment doesn't seem to make enough difference to do it.

It's a Frigidaire, not sure what model.

I had the same problem.. never got it right just went ahead and left it at 32 and just warm the glass with my hands before i start drinking . i think this way beats spending seventybucks

Hoodweisen said:
I had the same problem.. never got it right just went ahead and left it at 32 and just warm the glass with my hands before i start drinking . i think this way beats spending seventybucks

You can get a temp controller off eBay shipped for about $20...

aswome thread, but can you actually keep a regulare tall refregerator with top freezer at 65-72 for fermentation?

I finally got the nice and easy Johnson digital control. Plugged it in and now the damn freezer won't cool. Just keeps running.

I did this adjustment on my chest freezer about two weeks ago. It worked fine, with temps holding around 39*F.

Problem I am having now is that the compressor protection (I assume) clicks about every 90 seconds. The compressor turns on at normal intervals as it always has with a temp controller. The clicks are drawing power because the lights in the garage flicker when it clicks.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?

mthompson said:
I did this adjustment on my chest freezer about two weeks ago. It worked fine, with temps holding around 39*F.

Problem I am having now is that the compressor protection (I assume) clicks about every 90 seconds. The compressor turns on at normal intervals as it always has with a temp controller. The clicks are drawing power because the lights in the garage flicker when it clicks.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?

What is currently in the freezer, and where is the temperature probe located?

emjay said:
What is currently in the freezer, and where is the temperature probe located?

It sits steady at 39°F. I have three digital thermometers; one in water up high, one in water low and one in the air on the hump. I also have around 11 gallons in three kegs.

It clicks every minute and a half or few minutes (haven't time it). But, the compressor seems to come on when needed, like if I leave the lid open and whenever it needs to during daily operation.

I just don't want to be wearing it out with all the clicking, if it would be better to not click as it did with the rancor on it.

mthompson said:
It sits steady at 39°F. I have three digital thermometers; one in water up high, one in water low and one in the air on the hump. I also have around 11 gallons in three kegs.

It clicks every minute and a half or few minutes (haven't time it). But, the compressor seems to come on when needed, like if I leave the lid open and whenever it needs to during daily operation.

I just don't want to be wearing it out with all the clicking, if it would be better to not click as it did with the rancor on it.

I have had this concern as well, mine is holding steady at 38* measured by two different thermometers. I have four 5 gallon cornys on the floor along with my co2 tank and several wine bottles on the hump. My compressor kick on about every 5 minutes and seems to only run for about 30-45 seconds...

...Mine is a 9cf Frigidaire purchased brand new about a month ago.

I'm thinking about backing out the adjustment screw and going with a temp controller if it means that this thing will not burn out after a year.

Anyone have any ideas about the clicking between cycles? Will this eventually wear out the relay?

Again, everything seems to work fine, with normal compressor cycles and cooling to 39*F...but the relay clicks rhythmically between actual compressor cycles. It did not do this when the thermostat was at the factory setting or when the Ranco was hooked up to it.

Thanks,

I finally got the nice and easy Johnson digital control. Plugged it in and now the damn freezer won't cool. Just keeps running.

Need more details to figure this out. First off, what do you have all of the parameters set at. Next, where do you have the controller probe mounted and what, if anything, do you have stored in the freezer.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the Johnson may be in the heating mode instead of cooling. There should be a snowflake symbol on the LCD readout if it's in the cooling mode. A flame symbol if heating. Normally, these units come set to the factory defaults, but someone may have altered the settings or the jumpers before it came into your hands. These units are very reliable and nearly foolproof, so I'm sure it's something easy to fix.

Latest posts

Back