American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled a cornie full of this for my Jeep club holiday party this yesterday. I made a label that used the clubs logo and everybody loved it. I was glad that I left a sixer of at home because it was almost gone when I left at 8pm. It was pretty cool to look around the party and see a bunch people standing around drinking beer that I made :mug:

img1263165485769.jpg

My mash was set at the temp you said 152 but by the time I added the grain it went down to like 141 should i add more water to bring it up to 152? Im stumped first time all grainin thanks in advance for the help

My mash was set at the temp you said 152 but by the time I added the grain it went down to like 141 should i add more water to bring it up to 152? Im stumped first time all grainin thanks in advance for the help

152 is the mash temp after the heat loss from adding grains. To adjust for the loss I heat my strike water to 175 to 180F and then place that in my cooler. After the strike water reaches 11 to 12 degrees higher than my mash temp I place the grains in my cooler and stir thoroughly. You want to mix all the grains to make sure there are no dough balls. I then take the temp of the mash and if it is still too high, I continue to stir the mash until it is at the temp I need.

You could add a small amount of boiling water to try and get the mash temp up to 152.

I served the batch I brewed on Christmas Eve this last Friday night after kegging and blast-carbing it on Thursday morning. It was cloudy due to the quick turnaround, but it was absolutely delicious and folks really seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks for the recipe!

I served the batch I brewed on Christmas Eve this last Friday night after kegging and blast-carbing it on Thursday morning. It was cloudy due to the quick turnaround, but it was absolutely delicious and folks really seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks for the recipe!

Wow. Dude that is just over 2 weeks! Wasn't it green tasting?

I brewed mine on the 12th and i think it is still green.

lol I've drank mine on the 11th or 12th day. This beer is a beer that's capable of being turned around fast because the hops mask a lot of the green flavors.

I bottled this on Dec 9th and have been flying through it. I kicked up the IBUs a bit and it tastes piney, citrusy, grassy... anyway, it's great. The longer I keep it in the fridge the more it smooths out. Will need to make more soon. Thanks!

Just cracked one open after one week, still really green, but man what a beer!
If this is this good after a week I cant hardly wait a couple of more weeks. I think I will have another right now. Ed Wort, your my hero.

I brewed this weekend, it was my 2nd all grain. The 1st I got the recipe from the LHBS and the crush sucked as well as my efficiency. Ordered this reciped from Brewmasters Warehouse and the crush rocked as well as my efficiency. I actually overshot the OG getting 85%. Beer will probably end up a little more sweet and a little less hoppy but should be good. Thanks Ed and BMW!

It definitely had a slight yeast-bite, but the overwhelming comment I got was, "Wow! This tastes like you fresh-hopped it!"

lol I've drank mine on the 11th or 12th day. This beer is a beer that's capable of being turned around fast because the hops mask a lot of the green flavors.

Amen to that. The hops are pronounced when it's young, and then mellow as the beer ages. Although, I'll admit I've never been able to keep a keg of this around for longer than about 3 weeks!

I have had this bottled for awhile at room temp. What I was doing was throwing 4 or 5 in the fridge and then drinking them that week. Recently I put about 18 in the fridge and then had to go out of town for work for a couple weeks - got back and cracked one open, the cold conditioning took the flavor of this beer from good to great. Lesson learned. :)

I'd like to brew a half batch of the extract version of this. Do I cut everything except the yeast in half? Mostly I'm wondering about the hops. Cut them in half? Since it will be a half batch, I'll be doing a full boil.

Also, are we good to go with Notty again?

Thanks in advance for the advice folks! :)

The Notty at my LHBS has performed perfectly.

Half everything. Measuring half a package of yeast wouldn't really make sense, might as well just pitch the whole lot as you mentioned.

At almost 8 weeks this beer is awesome. Everything about it is good. Aroma, body, taste, and awesome head retention. I have tasted this all along the way and it is amazing how much this beer changes over time.

I got everything to make my 3rd batch of this over the weekend. Last night I noticed that they gave me Briess Pilsner instead of 2 row is this going to make much difference??
Thanks

This was my first all grain and it turned into my best beer yet. Although I have horrible efficiency... A 4 gallon batch has pleased everyone who has tried it!

Whops. I brewed this up on Sunday as an extract (half batch/ 2.5 gal) and ended up with an OG at 1.057. Should I add water to it? How much? When? Or should I not worry too much about it?

Thanks.

For those of you that used the pre-built recipe at Brewmasters Warehouse, did you just follow the same hope schedule from the original recipe? I ask because I noticed the hops from Brewmasters Warehouse were 5.4% AA but the original recipe was using 6.6% AA hops.

Will the lower AA's make a big difference?

About to brew up my 3rd or 4th batch of this (I forget how much i've brewed of it so far). Unfortunately the LHBS up here in Fairbanks kinda had a suffering inventory (they said they ordered more stuff) so I had to substitute Pale Malt for the 2 row and Amarillo hops for cascade hops. Hope it turns out pretty comparable.

good easy recipe, decided to do this as my first ever batch and all grain attempt. went very solidly. cant wait to taste it!

Just brewed this two-ish weeks ago. Going home to dry-hop it this weekend. It's going to be dry-hopping for 2 weeks, so I'm thinking I should only need .25-.5 oz. Sound about right?

Edit: I'd like to add that I got 1.060 (86% efficiency) on my brew. Almost my highest yet (the brew I did the day after I brewed this got 87% lol)

For those of you that used the pre-built recipe at Brewmasters Warehouse, did you just follow the same hope schedule from the original recipe? I ask because I noticed the hops from Brewmasters Warehouse were 5.4% AA but the original recipe was using 6.6% AA hops.

Will the lower AA's make a big difference?

Just checked this thread......

The AA makes the largest difference at the bittering add. Maybe up the 60 to compensate for the lower AA and reduce the 30 min.

I brew a similar recipe and have been FWHing and skipping the 60 min add altogether.

My schedule for a 10 gallon batch goes something like:

2 oz FWH
2 oz 10
2 oz 5
2 oz 1
and .5 oz dry hop

Just brewed this two-ish weeks ago. Going home to dry-hop it this weekend. It's going to be dry-hopping for 2 weeks, so I'm thinking I should only need .25-.5 oz. Sound about right?

I dry hopped for 2 weeks with about .75 oz and it was great. Maybe just a touch on the high side. I would do .50 oz next time i think just to put more focus onto that wonderful malt character.

I'm brewing this right now (literally, grain is mashing now)-

I've always been a bit confused on cold crashing. When do I toss it in the freezer? When it's it the secondary? How long?

I'm brewing this right now (literally, grain is mashing now)-

I've always been a bit confused on cold crashing. When do I toss it in the freezer? When it's it the secondary? How long?

weeks from now.

When your fermentation is done and you're ready to rack the beer, pop it in the fridge for 6+ hours. Rack into a bottling bucket and transfer to your serving vessel(s) of choice.

If you've got 2 weeks of primary (or even less) you can skip the secondary. Do things by taste if you're concerned. Eventually you wont be.

weeks from now.

When your fermentation is done and you're ready to rack the beer, pop it in the fridge for 6+ hours. Rack into a bottling bucket and transfer to your serving vessel(s) of choice.

If you've got 2 weeks of primary (or even less) you can skip the secondary. Do things by taste if you're concerned. Eventually you wont be.

Thanks for the help.

Let me make sure I have this straight-

Primary for 2 weeks
pop in fridge for 6+ hours (cold crash)
rack into keg, then stick in my keezer for a month or so

Thanks for the help.

Let me make sure I have this straight-

Primary for 2 weeks
pop in fridge for 6+ hours (cold crash)
rack into keg, then stick in my keezer for a month or so

Should be good, I like to rack into a bottling bucket to minimize trub in the keg.

Due to the apparent great popularity of this beer, I picked it for my first all grain brew. Overall I think it went mostly OK, but I had these issues:

My main boiling kettle could only handle about 5 gallons, so I boiled the remaining 1.5 or so on the stove at the same time in a separate pot. I added the first hops to the main kettle, and tossed a few into the smaller one. By the second hops addition, I had boiled off enough to put it all in the big kettle.

Ended up with only 4.5 gallons in the fermenter when all was said and done. I boiled outside and it was mid 40's today, but 2 gal of loss seemed like a lot. Left a little in the kettle when I poured it out, but it was mostly trub. Had an OG of about 1.045 (recipe calls for 1.051).

I'm not worried about the volume, or gravity too much, but is there something I should watch for when fermenting and bottling due to the deviations?

Oh yeah, I hit my mash temps right on, only lost 1 degree during the hour mash, and hit the sparge temps too. Online calculators telling me my brewhouse efficiency was about 60%.

You did better than me. Mine went all kinds of sideways. Too hot a mash, waited 23 hours to reboil and hop. It was awkward. I did everything at the last minute. Built my mash tun and crushed the grain. I was poorly prepared. I bet you get some really good tasting beer BTW.

Good luck.

just finishing up... missed my mash temp... realized the valve was open on my mash tun. opened it to drain my pre heat water.. I wasn't sure how much I had lost and was a bit hot..

I added some room temp water and ended up about 4 deg to cool.. guh not a good brew day.

i think i made beer though.

next month will tell

You did better than me. Mine went all kinds of sideways. Too hot a mash, waited 23 hours to reboil and hop. It was awkward. I did everything at the last minute. Built my mash tun and crushed the grain. I was poorly prepared. I bet you get some really good tasting beer BTW.

I had a short brew day (had to be done before noon) so I had the mash tun built, leak checked, all the ingredients and equipment primed and ready to go the night before. I usually try to keep as organized as possible, and this was my first all grain so I really wanted to avoid any suprises. I did pretty good, started heating mash and strike water at 7 am, everything in the fermenter, cleaned up and put away by 11:30.

Fermenting away like crazy too! Looking forward to this one.

Back