Economy brewpot and scorching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libertexian

Reaction score
Getting geared up to brew my first batch this weekend! One of my concerns is that my 40qt SS economy brewpot may lack considerably in the heat distribution department, and may contribute to scorched wort.

How worried should i be? Does anyone else have experience with these AHS economy pots?

I was looking today at these cast iron burner shields http://www.grillparts.com/charbroil/allparts.asp?src=base&product_id=4156439
Would this be a good safeguard? Does anyone know of a big box store that sells these or a like product.

Any guidance appreciated.

I had a pretty cheap pot when I did extract and as long as I pulled the pot off the burner while adding the stuff, none of it ever scorched.

I also did the late additions as mentioned in how to brew. (adding half your extract up fron and half at the end of the boil)

I don't think a cast iron plate on your burner is worth the trouble.

I would say you'll be fine without the burner shield depending on your burner. Like philrose said, the key is to remove the pot from the burner when adding extracts. I usually add my extract before I even get up to a boil.

While we're on the topic, I'm looking into getting a new kitchen stove with the seamless glass top. Anyone use these for extract brewing and have any problems? Would you recommend a heat shield or trivet then?

I currently do extract brewing on a seamless glass top range. I do partial boils because my pot is only 5 gallons, so I usually do a 3 gallon boil to add the extract to. The worst thing is it takes FOR EVER to bring it to a boil and I almost never hold a rolling boil. Usually takes about an hour to get it up to boiling temperature, so just be prepared for a long brew day.

If the economy pots are pretty decent, I need to re-think getting a $160 pot from Morebeer.

You can more likely find a heat diffuser. I use one when I'm doing PM in the old pot.

Is anyone familiar with this: BREWER'S EDGE 40 QUART BREWKETTLE
from Williams Brewing? It comes with a brass valve and sells for $100. It has two more gallons capacity than the 8 from Morebeer for $160. Only half as thick and I'm sure it's "cheaper" overall, but wth?

Off track, am I better off with thick aluminum or thin SS? (Assuming about the same price.)

I paid $6.99 for my brew kettle brand new (5 gallon SS) at a local grocery store. Its extremely thin and it survived quite well. I had no scortching and that was even my FIRST batch! Remove it from the heat when adding DME/LME and make SUREE you stir the crap out of it before putting it back on the heat.

Most of all - don't worry too much. I find there is a certain level of good worrying because you don't want to screw up a batch (which I can relate to).

You will be fine.

Update:
Brewed an all grain Black Ale on Black Friday in the 40 qt econ pot. No problems at all! I cant imagine buying a more expensive pot. And the boil off was not as much as i anticipated. 7 gal pre boil, 5.5 post at 210 degrees.

I have a 30 qt Proctor-Silex SS brewpot, pretty cheap (was $40 delivered). This pot is very thin metal. I've made @50 batches in it, all but the last half-dozen have been extract. I've never scorched / burnt extract onto the bottom. I don't pull the pot off the burner when I add extract, I just stir like mad as I pour the extract in, until I'm sure it's all dissolved. Once I'm to that point, I know I'm good. There can be a tendency for a stain to form on the bottom of the brewpot, but simple detergent and a ScotchBrite scrubber takes that off.

Back