Irish Stout w/ out gypsum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
Ok, I was happily brewing my first attempt at Midwest's Irish Stout and doing my usual (follow the recipe but make mistakes) and after I'm done and cleaning up I find I've left out the gypsum?:drunk: Soooo, does anyone know what's the best thing for me to do? And what will it taste like without it? Oh, and I did not find it until the yeast was pitched.

I'd say that it'll be fine without the gypsum. I've never used gypsum, though I really should try it out. RDWHAHB :)

I seems like my beers are a little "crisper" since I've been adding gypsum. But the difference is slight at most.

You may have changed the flavor profile a little. But as long as the yeasties are happy all should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback. This batch is happily gurgling away in the carboy making good stuff. I'll see in a few weeks if there is much of a difference in flavor.

Latest posts

Back