White spots on krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idedek

Reaction score
I am doing an open fermentation in a Saison I am making. I have done several open fementations and never had this problem before. There are 2 white spots(about the size of a quarter) on the Krausen that are slowly getting larger. I am assuming that I have a bacterial infection but I'm not sure. Should I just scoop them out?

I am doing an open fermentation in a Saison I am making. I have done several open fementations and never had this problem before. There are 2 white spots(about the size of a quarter) on the Krausen that are slowly getting larger. I am assuming that I have a bacterial infection but I'm not sure. Should I just scoop them out?

Sanitize your spoon well and in my opinion it is worth a try even if it is not an infection. Be careful to get well under the spots so that you don't disturb them.

I agree.

I had a perfectly good stout ruined by some vanilla bean that had a hidden invader of some kind.

Do what you can to keep the spots from mixing or breaking apart. Like using a really large spoon.

Back