Fermenting????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corjyn

Reaction score
Hey:

I think I'm having issues here. Well, this is a contiuation the the Charlie Foxtrot post. First batch, brewing went well, cooling the wort was fine, I'm sure I aerated the wort and pitched the yeast. I placed the lid on the fermenter and pushed the airlock in, well, the rubber grommet fell into the wort so I wedged the airlock in the hole hoping for a descent seal.

Fermenting temp is 72 F.

Just over 24 hours and no evidence of airlock activity. So my experienced homebrewing buds, where to go from here?

I also read about yeast, i did use White Labs California Ale liquid yeast without a starter, could this cause a lag time?

Thanks

John

Primary: #1 Autumn Amber Ale (still hoping)

My latest batch showed no signs of fermenting until about 36 hours later. Then, it took off like crazy!

I was concerned because it was very hot when the package arrived from Northern Brewer, and it had likely been sitting in a warm UPS truck over the 4th of July. The Wyeast smackpack was already quite swollen when I pulled it out of the box and stuck it in the fridge, so I was concerned that the yeast might have gotten too hot. I was very close to adding a packet of Muntons dry yeast to my primary, but held off.

Moral to the story: Be patient, and all will be fine!

Don't go by the airlock either. 3 out of 4 of my brews have not shown any airlock activity. But they all fermented out. My guess is that the one that did show had a good seal. That one was in a fermenter that I have only used once all the others have been in the same bucket with the same lid and have not shown anything.

Still no real activity in the airlock, bubbles have formed, but active bubbling. I will ride it out since all who have posted have been the voice of reason. Thanks. :mug:

Well, starting to consider the next batch as soon as I clear that primary. Thanks again.

Cheers!!!

John

Primary: #1 Autumn ale

Corjyn said:
Still no real activity in the airlock, bubbles have formed, but active bubbling. I will ride it out since all who have posted have been the voice of reason. Thanks. :mug:

Well, starting to consider the next batch as soon as I clear that primary. Thanks again.

Cheers!!!

John

Primary: #1 Autumn ale

Why wait? Go get yourself another one.. :D

Back