Need help building a control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kresimo

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a control panel for my electric HERMS brewery. I'm currently using a basic model from high gravity and would like to have something a little more advanced and I really enjoy DIY projects. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. I've been searching the forums and have found some schematics but I'm not the best with electronics so could use some help. If anyone is offering some advice or a schematic I would really appreciate it. I've seen The Electric Brewery's document many times so I can figure out where to get parts. I'd be looking for one that has manual control for 2 pumps, 2 PIDs (one for HLT and one for MT) and receptacles for both of the 3 prong 240 heating elements. ON/OFF switches and lights and an Emergency shut off. Currently my breaker is NOT GFCI protected, But I am going to put a GFCI breaker on the box once this gets going. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had no background in electronics before my Kal clone. I'd start on that site. Might not get you exactly what you're after, but it's a starting point. My GFI is in the main plug (got that idea from Kal too).

I'm looking to build a control panel for my electric HERMS brewery. I'm currently using a basic model from high gravity and would like to have something a little more advanced and I really enjoy DIY projects. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. I've been searching the forums and have found some schematics but I'm not the best with electronics so could use some help. If anyone is offering some advice or a schematic I would really appreciate it. I've seen The Electric Brewery's document many times so I can figure out where to get parts. I'd be looking for one that has manual control for 2 pumps, 2 PIDs (one for HLT and one for MT) and receptacles for both of the 3 prong 240 heating elements. ON/OFF switches and lights and an Emergency shut off. Currently my breaker is NOT GFCI protected, But I am going to put a GFCI breaker on the box once this gets going. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I assume you meant HLT and BK?
But it sounds like you want to build Kals @ http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ exactly, or am I missing something?

I agree with the OP, I don't have one on my BK. I just use my mash pid in manual for the bk but it measures the temp of the mash

I agree with the OP, I don't have one on my BK. I just use my mash pid in manual for the bk but it measures the temp of the mash

Correct, I do/plan on continuing to do the same thing.

What I am looking to do is pretty similar to Kal's, minus the voltage/amp readouts, and just using different receptacles for the pumps. Is it just me or when looking at the interior of Kal's it looks pretty complicated? I'm seriously asking. Obviously it is a damn awesome panel and top quality, but for a smaller one at home does what I'm looking to do need to be as complicated?

Mrwizard I'm gonna check out your layout
Thanks

They look far more complicated than they are. If you just follow the wiring diagram as they are drawn an work slowly it's really not that bad.

I hate to sell myself short, but if I can do it, you can too :) I teach 4th grade. Far removed from a profession that requires technical expertise. The very first electrical thing I ever did was the panel. If I look at the panel complete I am shocked that I was able to do it, but just take it step by step. You can do it!

Correct, I do/plan on continuing to do the same thing.

What I am looking to do is pretty similar to Kal's, minus the voltage/amp readouts, and just using different receptacles for the pumps. Is it just me or when looking at the interior of Kal's it looks pretty complicated? I'm seriously asking. Obviously it is a damn awesome panel and top quality, but for a smaller one at home does what I'm looking to do need to be as complicated?

Mrwizard I'm gonna check out your layout
Thanks

Do you have or plan to have the service to support at least 240v 30amp before you start down this path.. If not you may need to plans for a 115v system.

I am building a Kal clone right now and have a 60amp service I ran so I can strike both 5500w elements at same time, 2 pumps and controls. His diagrams can be adapted for most configurations.

You will also find many variations of control that were drawn up on HBT by PJ.
Here is one place
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/list-pj-electrical-diagrams-382286/

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I need to look at kal's instructions closer and adapt it for what I am planning to do. Building the herms seemed a heck of a lot harder than it was also.

Back