Rookie mistake costs me cash. :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullfingr

Reaction score
100_09471.jpg

This is what I saw a split second after adding my hot wort to my carboy in a coolwater bath. There WAS cold water inside the carboy already but apparently it was not enough to cool it down fast enough to prevent the outside coldness from snapping the carboy right along the bottom.

So. Two hours work mashing and boiling, an ounce of hops and a few gallons of wort down the drain.

(expletive deleted).

Thanks everyone. It could have been a LOT worse, yes. It was a clean break, so no shards, either. Lucky. Did burn my foot a bit though when some of the wort came up and out but it's no big deal. And no, I will never do that again. But now I have no carboy except for my 1 gallon! I poured myself one of my five remaining bitter ales to commemorate my rookie mistake. Haha. Cheers. :)

Great Attitude, I know you pain,and I'll drink one for you, Cheers!!

So you still have 4 gallons of that batch left. Go get a Home Depot bucket to ferment whats left. Thanks for taking a picture and posting. Sorry for the loss. Glad no one was hurt.

Ouch... I'm guessing you'll be cooling the wort down before pouring into a carboy from now on... I've never used a glass carboy, I chose to go with the better bottles. I'm too clumsy for glass. I suspect that would have been a melty pile of mess if you were doing that.

That's an expensive 5 gallons of beer you didn't even get to drink! :) I've done something similar, and lost a batch and a carboy... make sure you post in the broken carboy thread also

Sorry dude. Another bright side: it at least happened before you'd patiently waited through fermentation. Cash is cash, but you never get that time back.

sorry dude. Another bright side: It at least happened before you'd patiently waited through fermentation. Cash is cash, but you never get that time back.

+1000

Did you save any? I'm bummed reading this!!

Not from this running.

The first run of this batch gave me half a gallon of some blacker than black stuff. I'm fermenting it now, although it's slowed down (as it was done more than a few days ago) and I'm debating adding some honeywater to kickstart the ferment again. I took another run of the grain and got a 1.03 wort that I added sugar to (see: Odd Concoction thread). And that's got about 3/4 a gallon now.

All in all, just a loss but you live and you learn, right? :)

Sorry dude. Another bright side: it at least happened before you'd patiently waited through fermentation. Cash is cash, but you never get that time back.

Indeed. I'm patient but that would have been a terrible loss. Two hours compared to two weeks!

100_09911.jpg

This is the concoction from what I had left (above).

100_09921.jpg

Above is the first runnings of what I'm calling olympus superstout. I took it from the first runnings of what was spilled. The rest was supposed to be regular old stout but spilled so I had to make the concoction.

Back