Grains of Paradise question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorHops

Reaction score
Ran a test batch of a Summer Ale with Grains of Paradise in it. I kept reading that a little goes a long way and that a recommended amount to use was 1-2 grams (crushed) for a 5 gallon batch in the last 5 minutes. I used 1 gram and couldn't even taste it a little bt in the finished beer. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Now I'm not sure how much to use. I don't want to over do it, but I'd like to taste it.

Grains of Paradise are an interesting beast. 2 grams are a good starting point.

I recently listened to the Can You Brew It - Ommegang Rare Vos podcast. Rare Vos is a commercial, Belgian Amber beer which uses grains of paradise. Their clone recipe uses over 8g of gop, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-ommegang-rare-vos-307934/. If i recall the podcast, they steep the grains at flameout while whirlpooling.

I've personally not brewed with it and the amount will vary depending on your recipe and style of beer. Good luck, let us know your results.

Back