Sassafras root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoolyBooger

Reaction score
While our walking my property, I stumbled upon a buttload of young sassafras! So I thought why not make root beer? The problem is I've never done it before, or even researched it at all. Does anyone have a good (detailed) recipe using fresh sassafras root?

I should have added that I have brewed several batches of beer from extract and partial mashing, and I am doing my first all grain this weekend. So I am familiar with brewing, just not root beer.

Yeah, I've read about safrole being slightly carcinogenic in rodents. And I'm sure it would most certainly cause cancer in California (everything causes cancer in California). But for the rest of the world, I honestly don't think that a human could consume enough to do any harm. But then again I drink from Nalgene bottles and microwave my Tupperware containers. So I guess I like to live on the edge.

Please note that I'm not making fun of you personally. Its just that there are so many more common yet deadly things such as cholesterol and heart disease, or just driving a car. I'll be damned if traditional root beer ends up being the thing that takes me out.

Ok, that's my soapbox. I am still looking for a good recipe. So if anybody has one, I'd love to hear it.

MrFoodScientist said:
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580170528/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thehomsodexp-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1580170528 is one of the best books on root beer in my opinion. There's some good sassafras based recipes in there. Most libraries I've browsed have a copy to borrow, too.

I have found a lot of recipes on the web. It seems like there is a LOT of variation from one recipe to another. I saw another thread on here with a modified version of Swagger Rootbeer's recipe http://www.herbco.com/t-root-beer.aspx. I might try it. But thanks for the info. I will check my local libraries for the book.

Back