Extract citrus recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmibrewer

Reaction score
Beginner brewer... I want to make a summer brew that is either a citrus wheat or citrus amber. I'm open to any and all suggestions but my limitations are : only extract or partial grain, I only have a 20qt brew pot so I boil 3gal and add two, i want to use citrus zest. I have looked up a few recipes but haven't found one that will work for me. Help!

Instead of citrus zest, get your hands on some Citra hops, which end up with an aroma that's pretty much lemon-lime and grapefruit notes. Here's an extract version of the Citra APA I make that is very citrusy and refreshing. You could even still add your citrus zest for even more citrusy goodness:

FIVE gallon batch

7 lbs pale LME
0.5 lbs Honey Malt (steep at 155 for 20 minutes)

0.75 oz Citra @ 60
0.50 oz Citra @ 15
0.50 oz Citra @ 5

Safeale S-05 yeast

1.049 OG
1.012 FG
4.8% ABV
~60 IBUs

THREE weeks Primary
THREE weeks in bottle to carb/condition

I make about 15-20 gallons of this stuff every spring/summer!

Ok so I went to my lhbs ( rocky mountain brewery) and they were fresh out of citra. After showing them this recipe they suggested all Columbus hops, same additions. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back