Newcastle Summer Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
I know that many of you here do not care much for newcastle, but it has a special place in my heart, because it was the first non-bmc that I fell in love with. I still enjoy it ice cold on a hot summer night. Recently a friend of mine who is a bartender/bar manager, told me newcastle has come out with a new beer, a summer ale. He said it tastes like a newcastle crossed with a pale ale. I haven't made it to his bar since it small jaunt, and am wondering if anyone here has tried it? Also they have it on tap. Is that the only way it is available?

I didn't realize there was a hatred for the beer on this forum.. I, too, have a fondness in my heart for their beer.

If I saw it, I would grab a sixer as well. I will need to keep an eye out for it!

I think the original Newcastle is fine, but the summer is an absolute failure. It taste more like a pale ale light than anything, no distinct hop presence at all, and the body is watery rather than refreshing. I don't understand why after all these years of putting out only one beer, that they would branch out with a pallid take on a summer seasonal. Maybe its just me, but I was very disappointed

I did make the mecca (well it wasn't that far) to the bar my friend runs and got to try this on Sunday. Yeah, I was not super impressed, but my hopes were so high that the only thing it could do was come in under the bar.
Well, I sat and drank two twenty ounce glasses, and still could not pick out what it resembled. I thought it tasted more like a pilsner than an ale, thin, with not much in the way of hops as stated above.

I will reserve total judgment until I try it again.

I'm extremely sorry to hear people aren't fond of my beloved new castle brown ale and this post about the summer ale that has recently come out is the way i found myself to homebrew talk in the first place. I just grabbed a mix n match 6 pack from one of my local favorite bars and saw this summer ale. I have yet to try it tonight but I plan on sitting down and pouring it into a frosty glass tomorrow. My pallet can hardly wait. Chance i may indulge this evening.

Maybe just a rehash of a Beer that Newcastle Breweries used to make up till the 1990s, it was a pretty bland affair and apparently was the base beer for Newcastle Brown, a strong brown (not available separately on the market) ale being mixed in with it. Maybe they've just re-released it.

amberale.jpg

I was not really a New Castle fan in the begining, but it has grown on me in a good way it opened me up to brown ales, I always have been a red ale fan. But not to stray I am really enjoying the summer ale, it is a little bit hoppier, and very smooth drinking beer and great for grilling down here in FL, It is very smooth, All round a very good beer and they have it in bottles. And if anyone finds a good clone recipe please post, would love to make and have on tap.

Thanks

Back