DME vs. Corn Sugar For Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rack from primary to the corny and was wondering what the procedure is with respect to adding corn sugar or DME to the fermented wort prior to racking it to the corny and pressurizing the keg.

I was also wondering which is preferable to use - corn sugar or DME?

Thanks, Montanaandy

I think corn sugar is just fine although some claim DME produces better bubbles. I don't really prescribe to the theory. Is there a reason you are not force carbonating?

They both work fine. I think you'd need more DME compared to the corn sugar. As corn sugar is more fermentable then DME

Why not force carb?

I've used both, and I've never noticed an appreciable difference in the two types of sugars. But corn sugar IS cheaper than dme, at least where I get it.

A 3 pound bag of DME runs around 12 bucks, whereas a 5 pound bag of corn sugars runs about 7 bucks.

Pardon my ignorance but can you give me a bit of insight as to how forced carbonation is done? Does this eliminate the need for corn sugar or DME to create the carbonation? Thanks, Montanaandy

Yes, for force carbonation you skip the priming sugar. Seal up the keg and put it on the gas. The gas from the CO2 tank is forced into the beer. How much pressure you use is based on temperature and how much carbonation you desire. There are charts for figuring the pressure. It usually takes a week or two to carbonate this way. But you can speed up the process by setting the pressure way high and shaking the keg.

Montanaandy, you might also consider 2.5 oz of table sugar to prime your corny with. I carbonate my beer in cornies too and have had luck thus far with about 4 oz of DME. But I've read a couple posts about people using the table sugar with no issues or off flavors, so next batch is going in the corny with some plain ol sugar.

Back