Never heard anything like that before....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's 5:30 - 5:45pm, storm is rolling in from the North. News stations are predicting it'll pack a whallop but, it's moving slow and not expected to hit my area for another 30 to 45 minutes.

I think "Finally I get a break from the rain and I can go cut my front lawn while it's relatively dry". I step out into the back yard and hear the strangest noises I have ever heard in my life. It was the approaching storm and it was the most disturbing sounding thing I have yet to hear.

While I am pulling my mower out of the shed I am listening to what I can only describe as a diesel electric locomotive with bad windings on the generator and drive motors. That is literally what this storm sounded like! A constant low level rumble with very little fluctuation in tone and absolutely none of the typical booms of thunder. All laced with an electrical cracking and popping akin to a shorted high voltage line with a periodic sharp snapping arc fault like effect. This went on for about 15 minutes while I pulled, checked, gassed, and pushed the mower toward the front lawn.

No sooner than I got the door open to the garage to pull the mower through the hail came. Rather than fight the mower through the door I dashed to the back patio with it. Within minutes my nearly 8000 sq foot back yard was covered in grape sized hail to about 1" deep.

I was thinking the same thing. And yet, there has been no tornado reports nor were there any reports of a hook echo in radar. Just a crapton of dense hail. I wonder if the desity of the hail being formed in the front edge of the storm is what triggered the effect.

Back