Jamil Pumpkin Spice Ale...cringe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
I cringe to post this since so many Pumpkin Ale recipe questions have been asked lately...but what the hell, I'm gonna do it anyway! :)

Has anyone brewed or tried the Pumpkin Spice Ale recipe in Jamil and Palmer's Brewing Classic Styles? How did you like it? I am thinking about brewing it this weekend and using the real pumpkin option. I'll still probably use 11 lbs. of 2-row because I don't expect that great of efficiency and I'll add some rice hulls to make sure I don't get a stuck sparge.

Grains
11 lbs. 2-row
.5 lbs. Aromatic
.5 lbs. Crystal 40
.5 lbs. Crystal 120
.25 lbs. Special roast

Hops
1.2 oz Kent Goldings 5%

Spices
.5 t. Cinnamon (1 min.)
.25 t. Ginger (1 min.)
.125 t. Nutmeg (1 min.)
.125 t. Allspice (1 min.)

If you want to use real pumpkin, which is recommended, use 9 lb. 2-row and 5 lbs. roasted (@330 F) pie pumpkin. 90 min rest to ensure conversion in pumpkin.

i am thinking about pulling the trigger on this as my next brew. have you done it yet?

I just brewed this last night. I added 1.5 lbs of light brown sugar though. It looked and smelled great. I have high hopes.

Mine's bottle conditioning as we speak.
Get ready for a real slow sparge and a mess to clean up if you go the real pumpkin route.

I just brewed this last night. I added 1.5 lbs of light brown sugar though. It looked and smelled great. I have high hopes.

From what I've read brown sugar, especially light doesn't add much beyond fermentable sugars. The amount of molasses in light brown is trivial in a 5+ gallon batch of beer.

i see that this is a pretty old thread...steelerguy.... how did it turn out? do you still recommend using all the base malt AND the pumpkin too?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pu...ng-recipes-tips-tricks-good-practices-131786/

That is a lot of reading. My recomendation to anyone brewing a pumpkin beer is to pull at least one decoction during the mash. It made lautering way easier for me this year. It ran off just like a regular beer with none of the crazy gooy mess. Still a lot of protein and stuff, but more like a heavy wheat beer than what I dealt with from pumpkin in the past.

Mine is in the fermenter right now, about to be bottled. the hydro sample tasted amazing so i have high hopes.

Back