Leinenkugel's Big Eddy RIS/Baltic Porter clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
You may dislike leinenkugel for their litany of mediocre beers or being owned by the big beer mafioso..... but I'll be dammed if I really don't just love their Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout and Baltic Porter. Both seem to have the same flavor genealogy with the porter lighter and lower ABV. Unfortunately I just drank my last one that was cellared and now have to wait for them to trickle into my local booze slinger since they don't produce it all year long...... which sucks.

I've searched here (admittedly with the mobile app, so who knows) without positive results and the Google machine has been fruitless as well.

Has anyone here come across a clone recipe for either beer? Care to share??

Apologies. Not sure what I was drinking when I posted their IPA recipe.

The RIS is very thick and syrupy, it has tons of specialty grains which make it that way.

It's a great beer and you'll barely notice the 9.5%. I really couldn't believe it was 9.5%.

Notice the label says "11 malts and grains"... so not sure how they're distinguishing the malts vs. grains (perhaps flaked barley, wheat, etc...)

Not an impossible recipe to clone, but not necessarily easy either.

Their commercial description for Big Eddy IPA (78IBU, ~9.XABV):

Just a guess but this might give a starting point:

Maybe you just misread or misquoted... not sure.... but the RIS or BALTIC PORTER are the only big eddy brews I'm interested in. IPA's do not butter my pants

bump with info.... well some

Leinie site says for the RIS:

Malts: Munich, Caramel, Chocolate, Classic Pale and Pale Ale

Hops: Warrior, Summit, Glacier

9.5 ABV and like 85 IBU's

Guess it's a start.

I've had it once and thought it was pretty good. I unfortunately don't remember many details. Hopefully you get a clone recipe from someone here.

In case you don't, here's a recipe from an RIS that I made in spring of 2012 that has all of those ingredients. I have a hard time believing they don't have any roasted barley or black patent in there (how is it an RIS without?). If they get all of that from chocolate, you'd need quite a bit, at least 1.5 lbs. Sub the RB with the additional chocolate. I'm not a fan of black patent, even in RIS beers.

- 8 lbs Pale Ale (Marris Otter would be a great Sub)
- 6 lbs 2 row pale
- 1 lb Munich 10L
- 1 lb Roasted Barley
- 0.5 lb Chocolate
- 0.5 lb Special B (dark carmel)
- 0.5 lb C80 (carmel)

Target OG 1.095, target FG 1.025, 9.2% ABV with a the last 3 tenths coming from bottle carbonation.

Hop it how you may, but most RIS beers have little hop flavor/aroma. I looked up their website and saw 75 IBU, and I wouldn't go any lower than that for bitterness to balance the higher finish.

Back