DC Metro area group buy #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, did you already send PMs with pickup instructions?

Manassas is slightly more convenient for me, so if you're picking up from Jay's on a weekend, I'd be happy to stop by and give them some more business. Otherwise no worries.

Thanks again for organizing!!

TMaccius said:
Wait, did you already send PMs with pickup instructions?

Manassas is slightly more convenient for me, so if you're picking up from Jay's on a weekend, I'd be happy to stop by and give them some more business. Otherwise no worries.

Thanks again for organizing!!

No, this was about some grain that didn't make the cut for the first buy.

I asked him about this several times and he has contacted the shipper and has not gotten an answer back. He told me he ordered ours at the same time he ordered his and his arrived yesterday. Hoping that we hear something today but rest assured I will post something here and email all the minute I hear something.

I'm sure you're as anxious to get these as we are. Thank you for staying on top of it.

It is very possible that the drop ship may have added another stop (and a couple extra days) in the routing.

Good news!! The shipment has arrived in Baltimore and will be delivered to my house tomorrow. I will send out emails tonight to all in the group buy so you can arrange to pickup your grains. Not sure why this got delayed a week. Hopefully once we have done this a few times it will go much more smoothly. Only issue is we were shorted on sack of pils malt. Once I have details we will get this straightened out. One of the guys who ordered pils is out of town for a few weeks, so I think I can just plop his onto the next order and we will be good.

Thank you for the update. That is good news.

Is there anyone from the Pasadena/Severna Park area in this buy?
If so, we could maybe bundle efforts with the pick-up.

Good news!! The shipment has arrived in Baltimore and will be delivered to my house tomorrow. I will send out emails tonight to all in the group buy so you can arrange to pickup your grains. Not sure why this got delayed a week. Hopefully once we have done this a few times it will go much more smoothly. Only issue is we were shorted on sack of pils malt. Once I have details we will get this straightened out. One of the guys who ordered pils is out of town for a few weeks, so I think I can just plop his onto the next order and we will be good.

I assume you mean me... and yeah, no rush! im just hoarding :)

Grain has arrived at my house. Sitting outside on a pallet, but encased in plastic so it should be ok until I can get it all in the garage. We are a go for this weekend. Emails have been sent to all purchasers so let me know if I missed anyone. I think I am going to collect everyone's email address as using the email system on HBT is a bit painful...I will also setup an account that I use just for the group buys that you can contact me through as an alternative to here. Will continue to use this as the main information source, but it is nice to be able to send a mass email when necessary. If I upgrade to a paid account here, do you get that capability?

For the weekend, you can stop by as early as 9AM. Also if you want to come by Friday night, let me know and we can arrange something. I usually work crazy hours, but will try to be home by 7-7:30 tomorrow.

Cheers!

I'm fine with a specific time, like if you want people to be there mostly at 9AM or 10 or noon, I can try to shoot for what works for you.

I don't have anything going on until the evening when I will be stuffing my face with steak.

...using the email system on HBT is a bit painful...I will also setup an account that I use just for the group buys that you can contact me through as an alternative to here.

Will continue to use this as the main information source, but it is nice to be able to send a mass email when necessary. If I upgrade to a paid account here, do you get that capability?

For the weekend, you can stop by as early as 9AM. Also if you want to come by Friday night, let me know and we can arrange something. I usually work crazy hours, but will try to be home by 7-7:30 tomorrow.

Cheers!

The system here is single "pm" only. I have a paid account and although you could copy and paste a list of recipients, it still says:

You may send your message to up to 1 people at a time.

So buying a membership won't help you there, from what I can see.

See you Saturday! :mug:

Barnesie: Several people are coming by around 9 as they are brewing or whatnot. I committed to being there in the afternoon, so if you want a sure thing anytime after noon I should be there or before 10AM. Even if I head out on a run to the store, it will be short.

IslandLizard: Thanks for the info. I probably will do a paid membership anyways at some point. Really want this board to stay up as it is a great resource!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Tony

I've been watching the other thread. Did my request for a sack of Vienna (or half a sack) make it into this buy?

No. You are watching the correct thread. I PM people when the order goes in, so you will always know if you make the buy. That one is a little over half sold. I suspect that after this one is done, that one will pick up. From what I can tell, there are only two of the bulk grain buys still active: this one and one other from PA or NJ. NCM really shut down a lot of this activity...:(

95y0oz.jpg

Here's what we got fellas! I moved it all into my garage so we are all set. Gonna go have a cold beer. Best workout I have had in weeks!

Cheers!

No. You are watching the correct thread. I PM people when the order goes in, so you will always know if you make the buy. That one is a little over half sold. I suspect that after this one is done, that one will pick up. From what I can tell, there are only two of the bulk grain buys still active: this one and one other from PA or NJ. NCM really shut down a lot of this activity...:(

The PA bulk buy group is buying through BYOB, a home brew shop. The owner had to get registered with NCM to become a reseller for them. He adds a cost-based markup plus a small profit per pound. Really nice and helpful guy from what I gather. It seems the way to go for now, and not that different from what we're doing.

Don't know about where NJ stands, although some NJ brewers have joined the PA group buy.

Chicago seems to have no problems with their old system and still order directly through the Midwest branch of CMG.

Your missing out on a fine bittering hop there, IL...

So out of curiosity, what are you guys in the Chicago area doing for your group buys now? Also, can you hook a brutha up with some Zombie Dust? I will find something in this area to trade ya!

So I just checked the Chicago buy and I have to say those guys make a crap ton of beer! They are putting us DC area homebrewers to shame with the amount of grain they have in their order!!! Cheers to da guys in Chi-town!! :D

So I just checked the Chicago buy and I have to say those guys make a crap ton of beer! They are putting us DC area homebrewers to shame with the amount of grain they have in their order!!! Cheers to da guys in Chi-town!! :D

we don't f*** around.

Nice meeting everyone today!! All grain is gone except for the two guys who are out of town, so I appreciate everyone getting here today and gathering your stuff. Happy brewing to all!!

Very interesting read Bill! Thanks for sharing that. Seems like there is more information in that article to fuel the claim that beer saved this planet. :D There was a Discovery Channel or the like show on how beer saved the world. Add to it the advent of modern day refrigeration!

Good craft beer coming outta Chi-town too! I love Three Floyd's, Revolution, and Goose Island brews. Wouldn't mind A Little Crazy or Zombie Dust right now as a matter of fact!

Nice meeting everyone today!! All grain is gone except for the two guys who are out of town, so I appreciate everyone getting here today and gathering your stuff. Happy brewing to all!!

Thank you stonebrewer for hosting this first group buy in it's new format. Excellent job!

It was a lot of fun meeting you and a few others and shooting the brew and hops breeze a bit. Then driving back home with a car-load of that wonderful smelling malt was very rewarding.

Also thanks to robfar for the gracious splitting of the Munich and socal for sharing the ride and doing the navigation. His company made the drive forth and back extremely enjoyable and time just flies when talking beer.

:mug:

IslandLizard said:
Thank you stonebrewer for hosting this first group buy in it's new format. Excellent job!

It was a lot of fun meeting you and a few others and shooting the brew and hops breeze a bit. Then driving back home with a car-load of that wonderful smelling malt was very rewarding.

Also thanks to robfar for the gracious splitting of the Munich and socal for sharing the ride and doing the navigation. His company made the drive forth and back extremely enjoyable and time just flies when talking beer.

:mug:

Big +1 on this!

Kudos to stonebrewer for putting this first "new" group buy together. It was great to meet you and chat about brew & world travel.

image-3078451093.jpg

Here's a pic of that Trappist ale I was talking about. I'll make sure to bring it when I pick up on #2!

That is nice! I like that it had use by dates, Saccharification time, Extract %, etc information. I have been able to pull this off other brands, but as you say it take a bit of work to do so. Is your brown ale close to Moose Drool? That is one of my top 20 favorite brews...

The brown is based on a recipe from George DePiro of his award-winning Brown Ale that I think he shared back on the Homebrew Digest many years ago. I tweaked it a little, most significantly by omitting about a pound of brown sugar (from ten gallons - I didn't increase the base malt any as I wanted a slightly lighter beer for summer) and substituting his Amarillo hops with what I had on hand:

American Brown Ale
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 36.0 %
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 36.0 %
2 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.0 %
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 9.0 %
2 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5 9.0 %
4.0 oz Debittered Black Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.1 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 8.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 9 2.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [124.2 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 35.1 IBUs Calories: 161.8 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 16.8 SRM

Royski said:
It was neat to see a QR code on the sack of Weyermann light Munich. It took a little effort to get it to scan but I was eventually rewarded with the lot analysis.
http://www.weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/N298-003060-01.pdf

It is definitely light - 17 EBC so maybe 7 Lovibond. I brewed a brown ale with it on Saturday.

Geeze Louise! I've been obsessively scanning the QR code on my sack of Weyermann roasted barley. Damn crease in the bag!

Then I realized, "Duh, add your bags code to that link on HBT"!

http://www.weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/N271-061060-01.pdf

Pretty cool!

Latest posts

Back