What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anything flying dog, dont know what crap they put in their beers, but they all taste ****ty.

photo-753575.JPG

false advertising

The worst beer I had recently was Sam Smith's Organic Choclate Stout. I dunno it had some sort of strange chemically sweetness. I love all their other beers I've had but this one was nasty.

Let's face it, not all craft brews are winners. We've all made at least one undrinkable homebrew and we've all had at least one craft brew that was so turrble we misspell terrible.

So, for me, I tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale tonight and it is an absolutely atrocious beer. I love bacon. I love maple syrup. But together in this beer...oh dear lord. It doesn’t help that the flavor sticks to your palate, not that smokey bacon isn’t delicious, but in this context? I’m usually forgiving in my reviews, but this, this is just, guh. I’d rather drink the 22 of Brian Baroo I got one time that tasted like armpits than this.

Up until tonight, that Brian Baroo (3 Floyds) I had was far and away the worst craft brew I'd had. It seriously smelled and tasted of sweaty armpits and I'd gladly drink that before Voodoo Doughnut. I honestly can't think of anything else that I found offensive like those two, and VD really out did itself.

So, what say you?

I f'in loved the Voodoo Bacon Maple Ale, only had an issue with the price

Upland brewery helios pale ale. Ive never tasted so much diacetyl in my life. They are in bloomington indiana (home of INDIANA UNIVERSITY) I go to purdue, but this plays no bias in this case. The brewery is said to make awesome lambics but most all of the "regular" beers they make are terrible. Most are bland. But helios pale is terrible. I havent had a beer thats been worse. I recomend you all to try it so you can learn how not to make beer.

I have been struggling to make a good IPA (all of mine suck so far) but id rather drink my worse ipa vs their butterscotch infested helios. Makes me really think they care 0% about their product, that is a flavor that should have been weeded out in their trial batches

CityOChampBrew said:

I have yet to try the Voodoo Bacon Maple Ale. The price has kind a been a deciding factor. For the price I don't mind rolling the dice on something I'm at least 70% sure I'll enjoy. I usually see it then get sidetracked to something else I'd rather get that I'm more sure I'll like. Hopefully I'll eventually try it. There's just so much great beer out there I'd rather try first.

I also, f'in loved vodoo bacon maple. I only had issue with - it seems damn near impossible to find in Southern NJ, That said, if anyone has a tip on where to get it, I'd love to pick some up for my new years party

Worst beer for me is that smoke beer shiner put out a few years ago. Felt like I was chewing/drinking on a damp campfire. Blech.

My worst is Samuel Adam Boston Lager but I only think its because it has to travel across america to get to Washington

Dechegash said:
Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is amazing!!!

I've been meaning to try since a work buddy told me about them but I haven't seen it outside of a variety pack

That is one of the few good ones left by same Adams... Seems they have lost the touch. Shame they used to be a good outfit but I guess with the growing size, and demand, they have gone off the deep end, and starting overdoing a lot of beers, an putting out some sub par products because the name will sell anyway... :-/

That is one of the few good ones left by same Adams... Seems they have lost the touch. Shame they used to be a good outfit but I guess with the growing size, and demand, they have gone off the deep end, and starting overdoing a lot of beers, an putting out some sub par products because the name will sell anyway... :-/

Id disagree with that one. they have defiently put more empathis on their typical line up, but they still make some damn fine brews on the side!

my problem is that the interesting brews they still do make have remarkably bad availability. It is no surprise that people think they have lost touch

you just cant easily find the good stuff their making easily! It really does suck :(

I really enjoyed Sam Adam's Winter Lager last year. This year it is boring. They changed the recipe obviously.

The Polygamy Porter from Wasatch was brutal. It was flat and tasted like putting weak coffee in the fridge and drinking it the following day.

skullface1818 said:
Id disagree with that one. they have defiently put more empathis on their typical line up, but they still make some damn fine brews on the side!

my problem is that the interesting brews they still do make have remarkably bad availability. It is no surprise that people think they have lost touch

you just cant easily find the good stuff their making easily! It really does suck :(

You talking about some of the 22s like the merry mischief and what not?, their other beers have been letting me down so much anymore I was afraid to bother trying the 22s, oh and infinium around New Years last year I hated, merry mischief (gingerbread stout) wasn't bad though, so maybe I will have to take your word for it and pick up some of those side project 22s. Any suggestions?

rino1rino:
Over doing it seems to be the thing these days . Notice that everything is over done to the point it really is not that good . Beers are out of control . Movies are so over done that the stunts are stupid and make the flic not so enjoyable . Hey at least make them kind of believable . Fast food and drinks are super sized . It just goes on and on

Out of this madness comes some REALLY excellent beers though. lagunitas is my new fanboi passion. Lil Sumpin Sumpin makes me weak in the knees it's so yummy and perfect. Their IPA is even excellent.

I hate overly bittered IPAs though. Make it bitter but not insane bitter, but give me some flavor, finish, and dry hops though. Lil Sumpin Sumpin has like 6 oz of dry hops and its INSANE

newb said:
I also, f'in loved vodoo bacon maple. I only had issue with - it seems damn near impossible to find in Southern NJ, That said, if anyone has a tip on where to get it, I'd love to pick some up for my new years party

I'm in Middletown, NJ and they have it at the Wholefoods by be I haven't tried it yet though.

You talking about some of the 22s like the merry mischief and what not?, their other beers have been letting me down so much anymore I was afraid to bother trying the 22s, oh and infinium around New Years last year I hated, merry mischief (gingerbread stout) wasn't bad though, so maybe I will have to take your word for it and pick up some of those side project 22s. Any suggestions?

Their entire winter collection I've found to actually be quite good, and I have very fond memories of their regular imperial stout (a bit too thick, especially when it exploded onto my face when I raised the bottle a bit too fast, but it was unrefriderated and I actually see that kind of thickness at a sign of a good strong stout)

I also remember drinking some strange brews from them at an ABC liqour beer tasting, its damn shame that I cant remember the names of the bottles. It was new stuff, but yea, a few too many drinks and a lost sheet (used to keep track that night) do prevent me from giving off any greater information.

I wish I could speak more for the 4 packs they sell at my stores (the wee heavy and high ABV bock), but I cannot. I have a short attention span with buying brew and I'm heavily biased throds 6 packs vs 4 packs
tho they do look good, and those options would probably be the best for trying something good they still make

As said before I would agree with you, I cant think of any of their easy to find brew that I'm a fan of (its even hard to find their winter stuff), but stand by my thought that if you see somthing different from them in bombers and 4 packs that their worth a shot
good luck finding something good : D

About 15+ years ago my dad got a bottle of something by Sam Adams. It was in in a blue or purple bottle, neither of can remember. Anyway he thought it was pretty nasty. Does anyone know what it might have been?

Lushife said:
About 15+ years ago my dad got a bottle of something by Sam Adams. It was in in a blue or purple bottle, neither of can remember. Anyway he thought it was pretty nasty. Does anyone know what it might have been?

Triple Bock is what you're thinking of. Yes, it is the worst beer ever made.

WesleyS said:
Triple Bock is what you're thinking of. Yes, it is the worst beer ever made.

Do you have a pic? My dad said it didn't even taste like beer. I think I would know it if I saw a pic.

Dead Frog brewing's roasted coconut wit.
No carbonation,looked like a mix of waterded down OJ and milk.
Tasted so bad that I couldnt finish the first glass,let alone the whole 630ml bottle!

bottlebomber said:
Holy crap Wes you own a bottle of that pish?

One? Try THREE!! My last unopened bottle will stay that way. I don't feel like subjecting my mouth to burnt cardboard anus oil again.

That might be it. Was there another beer from around that time in a blue or purple bottle? If not than that's it.

Lushife said:
That might be it. Was there another beer from around that time in a blue or purple bottle? If not than that's it.

That's gotta be it. It's pretty well regarded as the worst beer ever. The BeerAdvocate reviews are pretty damn funny.

bottlebomber said:
That's gotta be it. It's pretty well regarded as the worst beer ever. The BeerAdvocate reviews are pretty damn funny.

Ok awesome thanks all. It's been bugging which beer it was and its been so long that I couldn't remember.

Lushife said:
Ok awesome thanks all. It's been bugging which beer it was and its been so long that I couldn't remember.

It's definitely one you want to forget. :)

Stone brewing smoked porter. I couldn't take more than than a few sips before I poured out the rest. It tasted like pure liquid smoke.

The other one that was awful was Mission Brewery hefeweizen. It was anything but a hef. It was clear, felt like I was drinking a bad ale. Dull flavors, a strange aftertaste. I managed to finish the 6 pack but I didn't really enjoy it.

Has anyone noticed bells two heartted changing recipes or process, the recent 6 pack tasted nothing like previous ones, and it has always been one of my favorities

Has anyone noticed bells two heartted changing recipes or process, the recent 6 pack tasted nothing like previous ones, and it has always been one of my favorities

Look at the bottling date. Bells' biggest issue for me is flavor stability. Hop Slam and Two Hearted go downhill quick. Even Oberon changes. When fresh it has a big Saaz character.and tastes kind of like a Czech Pilsener. After a few weeks the hops disapeer and the beer gets pretty boring.

Just tried a Rogue Maple Bacon Ale. Smelled like car tires and the taste? Couldn't manage more than two sips; the second sip was to confirm the horrible taste of the first. I'm glad my nephew wasted the $15 on this one

NWEagle said:
Just tried a Rogue Maple Bacon Ale. Smelled like car tires and the taste? Couldn't manage more than two sips; the second sip was to confirm the horrible taste of the first. I'm glad my nephew wasted the $15 on this one

I really wanna try it. Maybe tomorrow.

Back