Home Depot GE FCM7 Chest Freezer Startup Current Draw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
I'm hoping to use my GE FCM7 (7 cubic foot chest freezer from Home Depot) with my Ranco Dual Stage temperature controller. The tag says that it runs at 1.7 amps, but I know the startup current draw would be higher. My EE (electrical engineer) friend guesses that the start-up draw for a motor of this size will probably be about 6 or 7 amps, though it theoretically could have a draw of 15 amps on start. So, I was wondering, does anyone on the forum happen to know the startup draw of this particular model?

I have no clue about what you're talking about... but I'm sure you'll be fine. I use a very similar freezer for fermentation. Cheers!

I would think it would be a lot lower than 15 amps, though I dont know because I haven't tested it. I have my GE 7cf freezer plugged into my ebay temp controller plugged in inside my house with no issues.

I think the ebay controller if I remember right is rated at somewhere close to 10amps. So it has to be under that I'd presume.

The controller I have on my keezer replaces the stock temp control which is hung from the trigger input for the motor relay. What this means is that I really dont care what the peak draw of the motor is as the stock relay will handle that. I'm not sure which control I'm using but I think its a ranco something or another. You should review what the install is - I'm fairly sure you won't run it inline with the motor.

hope that helps -
justin

The controller I have on my keezer replaces the stock temp control which is hung from the trigger input for the motor relay. What this means is that I really dont care what the peak draw of the motor is as the stock relay will handle that. I'm not sure which control I'm using but I think its a ranco something or another. You should review what the install is - I'm fairly sure you won't run it inline with the motor.

hope that helps -
justin

I don't know what other way I'd use it. It has a (pre-assembled from MoreBeer) plug that connects to the wall and then two outlets. One outlet is for heating, the other for cooling.

Gotcha - Just looked at it on morebeer. Let me start out with the disclaimer of - I'm not a EE or electrician. I did look for the specs for the morebeer and the fridge without any luck.
I think this is odd, anyway I would expect it will be fine - but who knows now. I hope so, the thing is costly enough that it better damn well handle a fridge, and a fleet of them at that.

I would call up morebeer and ask wtf it is rated at.

Back