Any tips on yeast removal in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
I made my first wine. (after about a dozen beers). Because I did a deep red wine, I could not tell when transferring and bottling that there was quite a bit of yeast still in the bottling bucket. Now that things have settled 2 months in the bottles, I can see some yeast sentiment covering the bottom of each bottle. Like when I bottle condition beer.

What is the best way to remove this yeast? Here is my guess.

1. Dump the wine from the bottles back into the bottling bucket, avoiding the yeast stuck to the bottom.
2. Add an amount of SO2 stuff, like Potasium Metabisufite.
3. Stir to ensure the SO2 stuff is mixed in evenly.
4. rebottle back into sanitized bottles.

Does that sound like the best way? Or should I just chalk this batch up to being yeasty? I know the yeast changes the flavor of beer when you pour and the yeast floats into you glass. I don't want a yeast tasting wine.

I plan on aging this wine another 6 months before drinking. It is a top of the line Winexpert Cabernet which has been in the bottles 2 months now.

I'd suggest keeping it still before drinking (not moving it around, so the yeast sediment settles), and then decanting it into a nice serving container. Next time, leave it in the carboy until you no longer get ANY lees after 60 days.

KilhavenBrew said:
I made my first wine. (after about a dozen beers). Because I did a deep red wine, I could not tell when transferring and bottling that there was quite a bit of yeast still in the bottling bucket. Now that things have settled 2 months in the bottles, I can see some yeast sentiment covering the bottom of each bottle. Like when I bottle condition beer.

What is the best way to remove this yeast? Here is my guess.

1. Dump the wine from the bottles back into the bottling bucket, avoiding the yeast stuck to the bottom.
2. Add an amount of SO2 stuff, like Potasium Metabisufite.
3. Stir to ensure the SO2 stuff is mixed in evenly.
4. rebottle back into sanitized bottles.

Does that sound like the best way? Or should I just chalk this batch up to being yeasty? I know the yeast changes the flavor of beer when you pour and the yeast floats into you glass. I don't want a yeast tasting wine.

I plan on aging this wine another 6 months before drinking. It is a top of the line Winexpert Cabernet which has been in the bottles 2 months now.

Hey
Same sorta thing happened with a kit I recently did. I ended up pouring all the bottles back into the primary, added 5 campden tablets. Stirred it up then racked it back into a carboy topped it up with a similar wine and let it sit for a few more weeks. This past Saturday I racked to a bottling bucket and bottled. It has zero sediment and looks very clear and has a very nice color. Taste was good, still very young.

Back