when to keg, differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I have 2 simple 5 gallon pressure kegs that have a pouring tap at the bottom. Unsure what you'd call them by name exactly. Anyway...

I usually let my beer clear out in primary. Any knocks it takes when transferring from bucket to keg usually clear out a few days later so its no big deal. However, I'm beginning to think of efficiency rather than playing it safe, which is definitely what im doing now. So i ask this, quite simply - what's your process? I prime with sugar and end up force carbonating later on.

Not sure what "efficiency" you're thinking of. Labor? Gas conservation? Product yield?

My generic process is primary fermentation in a 6.5g carboy, rack to another carboy for secondary and dry hop and/or add any aromatic spices or extracts, eventually crash cool for 3-4 days then rack to a corney keg, stick it in my keezer and apply serving pressure to it for a couple of weeks before hooking it up to a beer line. From brew day to first pour is at least 4 weeks but can be months...

Cheers!

if you prime with sugar, you shouldnt have to force carb later. you should only have to use CO2 to push beer out.

I'm thinking in terms of clearing in primary, secondary, or in the keg, so I can free my equipment up to begin the process again. :)

I'll usually keg after 2 weeks in primary if FG is reached. A lot of stuff will settle out and the first pint or two I pull is full of sediment, but after that the beer is usually clear enough to see through. I don't even bother cold crashing unless I've used a ton of dry hops.

Back