Aging a Chocolate Stout, not imperial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
So I was thinking of dropping my chocolate stout into my basement after 4 weeks at room temperture. My basement should be between 50-65 degrees.

This is not an imperial stout, the abv was right around 6 %

I was planning on storing it down there until Christmas, so about 9 weeks.

Is it really even worth it? Since its not an Imperial??

Also will the chocolate fade if I do this. I used cocoa powder and so far getting great chocolate flavor.

thanks

flavors mellow and blend with age, so its fair to say the chocolate will not be as pronounced as it is right now. if you enjoy it as it is, just drink it now.

is it already cold and carb'd?

I always brew a chocolate stout in october, usually it's perfect after a month or so..

you will notice that chocolate flavor will become more intense and the beer will be dryer after a couple of months

flavors mellow and blend with age, so its fair to say the chocolate will not be as pronounced as it is right now. if you enjoy it as it is, just drink it now.

is it already cold and carb'd?

nah its been the bottle less than a week. Im leaving it at room temp for 3-4 weeks and then I was going to throw it in the cellar for a while.

Should I just continue to leave it at room temp?? and not even bother with the cellar?

The cellar won't hurt anything, an will help if the temp is less prone to changing than the upstairs. When aging beer/wine/cigars, the key thing with temperature is not so much actual temp as it is stability of temp. Also, I may help to insure you still have some left at holiday time.

Back