De Brazing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I have a project in mind for my ferm chamber but it might involve "un brazing" a few copper joints. I heated the joints up with MAPP gas and it didn't budge. Can you take brazed copper joints apart like soldered joints or no?? I've had no problem "soldering stainless" to get my keggles up and running so it's nothing I can't do but I just need to know if it can be done.

My guess is if it can I need more heat, aka oxygen acetylene?

I'm not sure about brazing, but it seems to me, I need more heat to un-solder copper fittings. I assume it has something to do with the solder strengthening after it is heated (similar to hardening steel), bit I am no metallurgist.

You can disassemble brazed joints in the exact same manner as soldered joints. However, brazing is done at higher temperatures than soldering, so it's entirely possible that an oxy-acetylene rig will be required.

If you plan on "un-brazing," then soldering the exact same components back together, you may have issues with dissimilar brazing/solder filler alloys refusing to cooperate.

Why do you post on this forum without asking the one guy in Columbus you know that could have what you need or know where to get it. You cut me deep man! I have an acetylene/air (turbo)torch @ the house that should take care of this. If not I have access to a oxy/acetylene outfit. And they are both portable. Now get back to work and sell something.

My bad, I thought of giving you a buzz!

I think I've ruled out the un brazing because of yuri's point about uncooperative metals, there's a way around it anyway, just had to take a look from a different perspective.

Let me know if you need help. I also have access to a vacuum pump and a set or two of manifold gauges. One of my refrigerators has sprung a leek and I will be repairing it soon.

Back