What works better as MLT for 5gal batches, a 5 or 10 gallon rubbermaid round cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
Like the title asks,

Which size Rubbermaid round cooler is better as a MLT for 5 gallon batches? 5 gallon or 10 gallon?

I am just getting into AG, but have been doing extract for awhile. I am simply not sure how much space that the grains displace in the container.

In case it matters, I like making big IPA's and other high ABV beers. Hence, more grain.

Thanks in advance.

If you're gonna make big beers, go with the 10 gallon. The 5 gallon will top out, depending on your efficiency, at about 1.075-1.080

I went with the 10 gallon, but I could have easily gotten away with a smaller tun. Consequently, I've modified my brewing style to do full-volume mashes with no sparge (mostly because I have the room). Saves me lots of time on brew day.

Long story short, if storage isn't an issue, go for the 10 gallon if you can swing it. You won't miss those 20 bucks when you want to do your double imperial barleywine.

I used a 5-gallon for years.... and maxed it out almost every batch. I had to do a lot of "partial extract" batches for bigger beers. I got my hands on a 10-gallon, and have been loving life ever since. Moral of the story: go with the 10-gallon, and don't look back!

I just had to make the same decision. I spent the extra $$ on a 10 gal and am very happy with it!

Back