Oldcastle Brown Ale (Newcastle) Clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had done this kit from midwest supplies, i just ordered it and as well bought the best yeast they had for it, does this really make a difference in quality or flavor?:fro:

Yeast plays a huge part of the flavor of a beer. I haven't actually ordered a beer kit from midwest before but I do prefer a liquid starter over a dry and have never had a problem with White Labs... I actually prefer them.

I just ordered this recipe too. I'd love to hear how it went for you Duff

Hey duffman. Another brewer from MS here glad to know I'm not alone in this state. I've only met one more from MS. I'm also interested in how it turns out. Keep us posted.

o wow your in Hattiesburg nice my man your only a hour away lol for sure ill post tomorrow on how smooth or un smooth things go for myself and my brewing partner.

Hey duffman. Another brewer from MS here glad to know I'm not alone in this state. I've only met one more from MS. I'm also interested in how it turns out. Keep us posted.

by the way there are many brewers in mississippi personally i know 1 ,2 ,3, 4, 5, or so lol i know i was counting while typing lol anyways i am also in a club called the BDBC ( BREW DAT BEER CLUB ) but there out of Louisiana never the less though you should join up on the web site , they post all there gatherings, events, and they are very knowledgeable about brewing in the southern states. Plus they have some super cool recipes.
:mug::mug::mug::mug::fro::mug::mug::mug::mug:

Ok so i believe everything went quite well!!!!!! there are several ways you can alter the kit and by that i mean there are different ways of doing things but basically we did everything to the T. we didnt put the Challenger Hops in a bag, we let them free flow with the boil for an hour to get a really nice hoppie taste along with the bitterness. We also used the White labs liquid yeast. I love it first thing lol you let it warm , you shake it and then pitch it. Amazing! you can shake it 5 minutes before hand then when you go to shake and pitch them they have multiply by like a billion lol <---exaggeration lol but seriously my brewing partner and i had a fun time brewing it and drinking a variety of beers while doing so. well ill come back and post after we rack and let you guys know the gravity's and aroma of the brew. hope this helps woop woop

ps gravity was 1.35 don't know if it was a miss read or if it was me reading the gravity incorrectly or if the pellets in the wort thicken it up. so after everything ferments and settles i will get a much better gravity reading.

I've had good luck with all of the midwest kits I've used. I'm curious how this recipe turns out, it's on my list of beers to try.

There are also a few more brewers in the middle to northern part of Mississippi. I know there are at least 5 or 6 more here in Starkville. I know there are a lot of brewers in Jackson (Homebrewers Association of Middle Mississippi).

I've had good luck with all of the midwest kits I've used. I'm curious how this recipe turns out, it's on my list of beers to try.

There are also a few more brewers in the middle to northern part of Mississippi. I know there are at least 5 or 6 more here in Starkville. I know there are a lot of brewers in Jackson (Homebrewers Association of Middle Mississippi).

Well there we go. I new i wasn't the only one lol j/k but so far no bubbles but the white labs said 5.15 hours but im thinking 2-3 days before we see good activity? right?

ok so if you use white labs yeast prepare for it to take upwards of 4 days for a sign of fermentation. other than that the gravity was at 1.035 before pitch. Ill get back after another week and let you guys know how everything goes.

ok so if you use white labs yeast prepare for it to take upwards of 4 days for a sign of fermentation. other than that the gravity was at 1.035 before pitch. Ill get back after another week and let you guys know how everything goes.

The expected OG is 1.052 - 1.056 and since it's an extract brew you will be in that range. If you used top-off water then the wort most likely didn't mix well enough with the top off water to get an accurate reading. Not to worry, the yeast will do the mixing for you when it churns while fermenting.

How did this one turn out if you recall... just curious since this is the first kit i bought and im going to start this sat....

Pretty well.

It was my third batch. And my 2nd favorite of the 3.

I got the recipe from Midwest. I enjoyed the Irish Red more. All in all this was a good batch and I will definitely make it again.

I think this was the first kit I brewed and it turned out great. It was a good confidence boost to keep going.

Back