Beer chili recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
Want to make a fairly simple beer chili, buy not sure what beer to go with. Was thinking about it and thinking either dogfish head 120min ipa or something like a Russian imperial, thoughts??

I'm making one tonight using a scotch ale homebrew. One of my main reasons for making chili is to have a cheap meal so I'm not big on putting expensive beers in it. Instead I'll drink those while I eat the chili. :mug:

I don't think there are many beers that would make it taste bad, considering most beer-chili recipes say to use Bud.

I make a Chocolate Chipotle Chili using Young's Double Chocolate Stout, but I've also done it with porters.

I agree with BillyBroas that I wouldn't throw anything too expensive in there. All of the great, complex flavors of a Russian Imperial Stout will be lost in the chili.

Whew...I misread this in a state of panic and thought the title read "chili beer". I was going to start screaming "Dear god, don't speak of it and let it die!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anyway, I used a Southern Tier porter in a chipotle black bean chili I made that was serious kick-@ss.

What about using a chile beer in chili or would that be overkill and not add anything special? Something like DFH Theobroma.

IMO a simple porter or stout would work, though the overall flavors of the meat and spices will dominate.

Don't drop $12 a bottle for DFH 120 or RIS just to dump it in a batch of chili, that's a sin in my eyes. I usually use homebrew in my chili, and have had very good results with Red Ale. I would think that Porters/Stouts would be great, and I love the idea of a Scottish Ale, I think that would be nice. All the qualities that make great beer great are going to be lost in the chili.

What you should do... buy that same bottle of 120 or RIS, but pour it in a glass and drink it with your chili. You'll be MUCH happier with the results of that experiment.

Great I think I'll see what great divide's yeti or maybe a fuller's porter is like. What does everyone think about adding some light hops late boil like 5 min. In a nylon bag to get some aroma/flavor?? I'm sure the spices of the chili will be overpowering but maybe some hops will come through??

What does everyone think about adding some light hops late boil like 5 min. In a nylon bag to get some aroma/flavor?? I'm sure the spices of the chili will be overpowering but maybe some hops will come through??

You just blew my mind.

Woah... do it.

How about a single hop pellet stirred into your bowl. That should give you an idea.

Well I don't know about actually consuming the hops, was thinking about putting them in a bag and then pulling them out, but I could do some pellets I guess.

Let us know how that goes, that could prove to be very good. I would consider breaking off some of your batch into a smaller sauce pan and experimenting with that. No use wasting a perfectly good batch of chili.

thx for that advice that's what I'll do, I'll post here how it goes and if I may have just come up with the best possible chili of all time!!

Well I don't know about actually consuming the hops, was thinking about putting them in a bag and then pulling them out, but I could do some pellets I guess.

This is a good thought BTW. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has tried licking hop dust. NOT good.

Any updates on this?? I'm making chili this weekend and have some cacades left over that I wouldn't mind experimenting with.

I use a single big bottle of Shiner bock. What doesn't go into the chili pot, goes into my beer glass.

This idea of using hops in chili is interesting. I think I'd make a hop tea: Boil 1 tablespoon in 16 oz water (time boiled depends on if you want bitter or aromatic), strain it, then add the "hop tea" to the chili pot.

NO IPAs IN FOOD.

I am possibly the biggest hop head ever, but bitter chili SUCKS.

Bitter gravy is worse.

Bitter does not translate well into any food I have found.

I use a stout in stew or BMC in most anything else (I'm sorry to say)

Good beer doesn't belong in much beyond soup and marinade.

DO NOT PUT GOOD BEER IN YOUR SMOKER WATER.

Yeah......I don't get it at all. What flavor(s) are you trying to infuse into your chili?

You know what I put in my chili? Pureed Tasso.

This is the recipe for the Chili Cook off in my department. I beat out 4 other fantastic chilis with it. It is a complex recipe. I used my own Chocolate Mole Porter.

(All measurements are approximate)

1 pound each of Lamb, pork and stewing beef, cut into small cubes. (or 3 pounds of any one meat or any other combination. Venison, buffalo or any other game could work as well.

About 10 ounces of ground mexican chorizo. Meijer stores carry "El Popular" Brand. It looks like sausages in casings, but it is actually ground packed into plastic "casings" just cut it open, and squeeze. Mexican chorizo is different from Spanish Variety which is actually a harder sausage.

3 tbs cooking oil

Coarse salt

3 tablespoons Sofrito (Goya brand) Sofrito is the cooking base used in most Hispanic/Mexican/Latin American cooking. What sofrito does is add freshness, herbal notes and zing to dishes. It is a combination of onion, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro and tomato cooked down for a long time, then run through a food processor, blended with olive oil, and stored in jars til needed. Goya brand is available and many grocery stores, and is in the Ethnic Grocery aisle at Meijer.

1 1/2 tbs chili powder (I used homemade, mine is a blend of dried chipotle, Ancho, Pasillo, cascabel, arbol chiles, and whole cumin seeds dry roasted and then ground in a spice mill or food processor.)

2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tbs oregano, 1tsp paprika & 1 tsp garlic powder (added to chili powder.)

18 ounces of beer, (1 1/2 bottles) I used my chocolate mole porter, but any ale would do. (A chocolate porter or stout or chili pepper beer would be preferable. Rogue Brewery has 3 that would each work perfectly, and are readily available and better beer stores- Chocolate Stout, Chipotle Ale, and Double Chocolate Porter. Even more easily available at nearly every store is Young's Double Chocolate stout, which comes in Nitrogen cans. )

2-4 cups of stock, I boiled lamb bones in my homemade chicken stock, removed fat and strained it. (any stock or bouillon would do...beef, veal, chicken, veggie.)

1 chipotle pepper with about 2 tbs of adobe sauce, mushed fine (use more if you want the chili hotter)

2-3 tbs tomato paste.

1 can Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes.

1 jar mild (or whatever heat) salsa (this takes place of extra garlic onions and spices.)

Approx 1 round of Abuelita Mexican hot chocolate cut into wedges.

1 bay leaf.

Several handfuls of crushed tortilla chips (This becomes a thickene, instead of masa harina)

(optional) 1-2 cans of kidney beans or others, drained and rinsed of syrup.

Extra ground cumin, chili powder, salt, or oregano to taste.

1) Cube the beef, lamb and pork into even sized pieces. In a bowl toss with 3 tbs oil and about 2 tsp coarse salt.

2) In a cast iron dutch oven or other pot brown meat in batches over medium-high heat, when each batch is brown transfer it to bowl. Do this to avoid over crowding the meat.

3) When last of meat is browned add chorizo to pan and fry til browned, remove and carefully lift pan and attempt to drain any excess fat without disturbing the brown crust that has formed on the bottom of the pan.

4) Return pan to heat and deglaze with stock and 1 bottle of beer. Scrape bottom of ban to dissolve all the brown bits back into the liquid. Let it return to boil.

5) Stir in Sofrito, and remainder of ingredients up to, but not including the tortilla chips. Allow to return to boil.

6) Crush 2-3 handfuls of tortilla chips and stir in.

7) Add meat to pot and return to boil.

When combined, everything will appear thick, so dilute with remaining beer, and/or water or stock- since you will be slow cooking this you don't want it to be too thick to begin with, you want it really wet and it will reduce down, becoming more flavorful as everything condenses and the meat breaks down.

Allow to boil for 10-15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer.

For this contest I simmered for an hour, then transferred it to a slow cooker on low, over night. You could put oven on low to medium, and stick dutch oven in there for 4-6 hours on low.

If you like beans with your chili (some don't) add it within the last hour or two of the cooking time.

21867_324607779066_620469066_3571012_7803673_n.jpg

The finished product, brick red full of flavor.

That recipe looks to be based on the Good Eats Chili recipe....

That's how mine started as well!:mug:

My god! I make a pretty good chili, but that just looks epic. IMO chili needs beer, and malty beer works best. any hoppyness is just going to get lost in the process.

Adding actual hops to the chili is an interesting idea, but I think that just a little squirt of fresh lime juice right into the bowl would do more to liven it up.

It doesn't matter what kind of beer you add to chili as long as you don't add any type of beans. As a Texan I learned long ago to never order "chili" when I leave the state because it will always have those damn beans in it.

It doesn't matter what kind of beer you add to chili as long as you don't add any type of beans. As a Texan I learned long ago to never order "chili" when I leave the state because it will always have those damn beans in it.

I make some AWESOME beans.

Cranberry beans slow cooked with smoked pork butt, bacon, and chilis and onions.

I add that about half and half to my chili. Also served over pasta with jalapenos , onions, and sour cream. Anything else there you don't like?

Also, since you started it, My smoked pork butt will blow the doors off of ANY smoked brisket ever made.

Truth. As they say, "If you know beans about chili, you know chili has no beans.”

I've tried a lot of different beers in my chili, and have found that Shiner or Sam Adams Black Lager gives me the best flavor.

Truth. As they say, "If you know beans about chili, you know chili has no beans.”

I've tried a lot of different beers in my chili, and have found that Shiner or Sam Adams Black Lager gives me the best flavor.

There's also purists who say you're not supposed to have tomatoes in chili, so I just ignore all of that. I do my chili with plenty of beans (usually kidney and black, but I mix it up depending on mood) and I just add more when I do the vegan version depending on who I'm serving.

I usually add just one bottle of the darkest, maltiest beer I've got on hand. I think I used an Odell Cutthroat Porter last weekend.

The "beans or no beans" argument, and for that matter, the retards who are passionate about it, are like the retards who argue over thin and thick crust.

BOTH ARE GOOD. Your stupid fanatical repulsion to beans, means you are depriving yourself of some fantastic chili.

Which is better?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Both thin and thick crust are fantastic in their own way.

Would I turn away some texas red because it has no beans?

No! fortunately I am not too brainwashed to enjoy something for what it is, rather than hate it for what it is not.

Stay walled up in Texas! See if we care.

Tomatoes are fine. Beans however will earn an automatic disqualification at the world chili championship in Terlingua. And for the record pork butt is defintitely better than brisket. Not everything is better in Texas.

Cheesydemon since we are on a beer forum I'll use it as an analogy. If you were to serve a Bavarian a beer made from all 2 row pale malt and a bit of corn adjunct with a noticeable hop aroma and flavor and then told him it was a Munich Dunkle do you think he would raise his brows? It may be a fine beer, but Dunkle it isn't. Same with beans in chili. If i want a meat stew with beans I'll ask for it. If I want chili then you'd better give me chili.

Tomatoes are fine. Beans however will earn an automatic disqualification at the world chili championship in Terlingua. And for the record pork butt is defintitely better than brisket. Not everything is better in Texas.

:mug:
Terlingua........texas?lol. A fine response, but the word "Chili" is like "beer" and should incorporate various sub-styles. Since the very word is hispanic in nature, you wanna bet whether the first chili had beans?;)

Cheesydemon since we are on a beer forum I'll use it as an analogy. If you were to serve a Bavarian a beer made from all 2 row pale malt and a bit of corn adjunct with a noticeable hop aroma and flavor and then told him it was a Munich Dunkle do you think he would raise his brows? It may be a fine beer, but Dunkle it isn't. Same with beans in chili. If i want a meat stew with beans I'll ask for it. If I want chili then you'd better give me chili.

A very well thought out response.

Again, though, I would tell the bavarian that it was BEER. (he might still raise an eyebrow, but what can you do?;))

I find that a more appropriate comparison. Beer encompasses Dunkels, weizens, IPAs etc. Chili encompasses Texas red, Philly chili and kentucky......chili, etc.

Chili isn't a Texas thing, it may not even be an american thing.

I won't call my bean and spaghetti laden chili "texas red". Deal?

Approx 1 round of Abuelita Mexican hot chocolate cut into wedges.

This ingredient made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of a Pace's picante sauce commerical I saw some time ago. I don't know if the commerical ever aired north of the Red River, but it featured an old man reading a picante sauce label by the campfire.

Hmm...
Revvy, I'm going to have to try your recipe myself, but maybe substitute some Graff for the porter. I love the taste of apples, and frequently use apple chunks or juice in my beef stews and chilis already, so... yeah.

Though at the moment, if I use beer in a recipe, it was Kieth's.

This ingredient made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of a Pace's picante sauce commerical I saw some time ago. I don't know if the commerical ever aired north of the Red River, but it featured an old man reading a picante sauce label by the campfire.

.....................it may sound wierd, but it may also be more athentic to original chili.

Either way, how it compares to the "new york city" salsa is completely lost on me.

Cinnamon and clove are what wins me chili cookoffs here, sound wierd too?

It doesn't matter what kind of bitterness you add to beer as long as you don't add any type of hops. As a dark-age era euro I learned long ago to never order "beer" when I leave the township because it will always have those damn hops in it.
Brew it how you like, bean it if you want. Just don't ever put ketchup on a hot dog.

Brew it how you like, bean it if you want. Just don't ever put ketchup on a hot dog.

Lol.

I hates me some ketchup on hotdogs, chicken nuggets, or fish of any kind.

I especially hates hops in me beer!lol.

Whatever you do don't drink beer with your left hand either. It's like beans in chili.........

Lol.

I hates me some ketchup on hotdogs, chicken nuggets, or fish of any kind.

I especially hates hops in me beer!lol.

Whatever you do don't drink beer with your left hand either. It's like beans in chili.........

That's because you're supposed to put chili and cheese on hotdogs.

Back