4 Gallon PET Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
So I was grocery shopping the other day and ran across Adirondack spring water in 4 gallon bottles. I always check for the #1 on any bottles I see and they are always #7... Until now! These are 4 gallon PET bottles with no deposit.

0116092001a.jpg

0116092001.jpg

I plan on using them for Apfelwein and for long term bulk aging (I am going to do a barleywine soon)

The best part is that I noticed my boss uses these in the watercooler in his office. I asked him today what he did with the empties and he pointed to the corner. Three bottles for free!:ban: Not that the price is out of line, at about $5 with no deposit!

I, Must, Have, Them.

Where does he get the water? I'm going to presume it's delivered.

Due to the BPE bottle scare you will begin finding more and more water bottles that we can use...in fact the Better Bottle people are making water bottles for some spring water companies as well...complete with the companies using the BB logo in their marketing material, as a sign of "Safety and Purity."

AND more and more OTHER bottle manufactures were going to know which side their bread was buttered on, were going to get on the band wagon and going to be rolling out <1> and <2> bottles that are going to be as good a quality as the betterbottles.

I started saying early last summer that we were going to be getting a gift as brewers with cheap yet perfectly fine bottles to use...

And that all the OLD party line arguments AGAINST using water bottles (oxygen permeability, leaching, yadda yadda yadday,) were quickly becoming no longer valid....And shouldn't be bandied, so casually, about as "gospel" anymore.

A few weeks back someone flipped over their better bottle they just got from the LHBS and it had different stamping on the bottom than the other ones, that had indicated that it came off their water bottle line- The same BB but just with a couple different stamps including "for home water use" on it.

SO good find!!!!

But what grcoery store is carrying them?

:mug:

These bottles were bought at Price Chopper supermarkets in Upstate NY. I don't know the range of the Adirondack brand but it was bottled by Polar Beverages in Worcester, MA. The phone number on the label is 800.225.7410

Like Revvy said, you will no doubt see more and more 1 & 2 bottles. The best part is that many of these are "no deposit, please recycle". What better way to recycle than to use them for beer!

Do me a favor...at some point, mark one of them in gallon increments. I'd like to know where the 4 gallon line actually is...

I was glad to see the BB 3 gallons bottles had so much space above the 3 gallon mark.

krausen5.jpg

THat means for the most part you have plenty of headspace in it, and for 2.5 gallon batches I rarely worry about needing a blowoff tube.

I will do that later on today and post the results tonight. Right now I need to get my butt in gear & get to work on SWMBO's scrapbooking room. Converting the spare bedroom from storage to a place for her to do her hobby so that I can get back to my hobby!
:tank:

i saw these the other day and imeadiatly laughed and wanted to buy 3 of then right off.
Good post man

Cheers

So, I filled one up, marking at each gallon. There is some headspace ~ enough that I could fit another quart of water to fill it exactly to the top. The red carboy cap fits perfectly on them as well. I think these are going to work out pretty well.

I'm trying to find information about which types of plastic bottles are safe to use, and I understand the ones marked with #1 are good? Which types can be used, and which to avoid?

Back