Amarillo in an Irish Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throckmorton

Reaction score
I just brewed an Irish Stout for my wife. Hops are in short supply and I needed a bittering hop, so I grabbed Amarillo which had the same acid profile as the hop in the original recipe. After brewing the beer (it is now in the primary) I found out that this hop is similar to Cascade. Citrus and grapefruit doesn't sound very appealing in a stout.

However, I did use the Amarillo as a bittering hop. Will the citrus notes be retained after a 60 minute boil?

It might retain a little of that profile, but I think you'll be ok. And really, I don't think it would be all bad if you could taste them.

Yeah. If you used it as a bittering addition, it won't maintain a lot of the flavor profile that you'd get if you put it in the end of the boil.

Following up on what everyone else said...

And if you do get some citrus in the finish, say it's an American Dry Stout. :D

Humm.. This thread got me thinking.

I'm looking to brew a nice dry Irish stout for myself and I have 1lb of centennial, 1lb of cascades, and 1lb of amarillo in my freezer. If I used a combination of these bittering (60 min) at the appropriate AA level would they impart much flavor? I was just going to buy 3oz of EKG, but if I could just use 1oz of my centennial which is almost 3 times the AA of EKG would that work?

Or would this crack pot idea just save money/make a sub-par beer? I was just thinking that since I had them on hand it might save a trip to the store.

The Amarillo is supposed to be very close to Cascade, so I would go for it. As I said and others have mentioned, when used as a bittering hop, you don't get much (if any) of the flavor.

Latest posts

Back