Saving a giant rhizome?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWBasementBrewer

Reaction score
Hello, i bought a giant cascade crown/ rhizome on ebay a couple months ago. This was going to be my main crop for this season, It was growing good had 3 shoots growing out and a windstorm came through a few weeks ago. The wind did a number on my shoots and killed them. I tried to revive them or see if they would pull through they just wilted and died.

So i pulled my crown out of the soil and put it back into a wet/moist bag in my fridge.. My thoughts were to see if i could trick it into producing another shoot or to just save it..

Now what would be the best way to give the crown its best shot of...
A) restarting and growing
B) survival for next year

Put it back in the ground NOW. It will probably put out a few shoots, even this late. It will not survive 9 months in your refrigerator. Hops are not cacti.

You probably killed it pulling it out of the ground, the roots save up energy to send out little rootlets and pull nutrients from the soil, if you dug it up improperly you probably severed all the little rootlets. Sorry you wasted your e-bay money if that thing survives I will be very very surprised, I mean you may as well throw it in the trash...

it would have been fine in the ground unless you just wanted to move it to a new location but it definatly needs to be back in the ground.

its didnt have all sorts of rootlets, it was only in the ground for maybe 2 weeks. ill put it back in the ground and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back