New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's the biggie beer?

News from me. I have a brewery. Well power in my garage. It's great so I have a fridge and so on. And I've decided to go BIAB With Recirculation. Eventually going. Electric.

I measured it on Thursday and it just cracked 20%. :) gave it a stir to rouse the yeast, hopefully it keeps going for a couple of months

Pkrd said:
I was going to give my oatmeal stout a stir tonight but mother nature helped me out :D

Ha! Those earthquakes are fun huh. Hope your all good mate. And all those in welly and surrounding area

Given the NHC IS ONLY 2-3 months away, what plans have people got for it?
Hopefully ill have something set up for brewing soon. Got some plans.
Porter
Kolsch
Red IPA
And APA

All going well of course.

The last one hurt my pride a bit. Nothing fancy for me this time. I'll make a beer but it'll have to be to style to the T.

Given the NHC IS ONLY 2-3 months away, what plans have people got for it?
Hopefully ill have something set up for brewing soon. Got some plans.
Porter
Kolsch
Red IPA
And APA

All going well of course.

I'm planning a Belgian Tripel with 3879 yeast Friday. See how that goes. And a double batch Pilsner that may or may not (leaning to not) be ready by then. If they're up to scratch I'll throw em in.

Failing that, next year. WCIPA v2 and the ManawaBrew Pale Ale for definite into some comps!!

I hadn't even thought about the NHC, I don't brew to style, I just brew whatever I want, only thing that I have that might do ok would be a ipa called many hops make light work, but it, just like all my beers, suffers from chill haze, and it's 8.4% so not quite iipa.
Brewing a chocolate porter this weekend but no idea if that'll be good.
And I'm not wasting super beer, even if it was ready, on a comp, I'm already sending almost half to people on America

Might send a few in to get some feedback. I dont pay any attention to style, so... would just be in whatever category fits best. This is not helped by the fact that 7 of the last 8 brews have involved brettanomyces, lactobacillus or a whole swath of other bugs.

I have some golden strong i'd like to send in, and some Belgian blond. I need to bottle the RIS that been sitting a barrel for a while. If that good i'll send it in too. Also tempted to siphon off a couple of bottles of one or more of my sours to get some opinions. They are still sitting in carboys, and will be into next year. But already taste something along the lines of a more funkonay.

We shall see

Need to get back to brewing - wife and I had our 4th baby 11 days ago so starting to get a bit more sleeping at nights now!
First up for me would be registering as a SOBA memeber then looking to enter a few beers:
Brown porter, Pale Ale and a best bitter. Now I need to get on to cleaning all my gear and back to brewing (we'll need to re-setup my mill first actually!)
Kiwirevo - appereance is only 3 points and chill haze would likely only drop 1 point off so don't worry about it too much :D

Tripel is brewed and in the ferm fridge bubbling away nicely. Managed to hit 75% efficiency with my first time without a bag. Brew day went well, had a stuck sparge, flow may have been to slow and caused suction....? Hit 1.092 in the fermentation bucket. Checked it just now and we're down to 1.050 and still bubbling away. Nice thick krausen as well. Very happy with it so far.

@sockmerchant I see you have some Belgians and some bugs going. Any advice for this tripel? Its using 3879 Trappist Blend which from research has Ardennes as the base yeast and some brett thrown in for funk...

@mattd2 congrats :)

I brewed a chocolate porter on Sunday, pretty close to the style guidelines so will see if that gets entered.
Also checked Super Beer and it's gained another half percent so it's at 20.5 % now. I've moved it near the heater and gave it a stir to speed it up a bit

Tripel is brewed and in the ferm fridge bubbling away nicely. Managed to hit 75% efficiency with my first time without a bag. Brew day went well, had a stuck sparge, flow may have been to slow and caused suction....? Hit 1.092 in the fermentation bucket. Checked it just now and we're down to 1.050 and still bubbling away. Nice thick krausen as well. Very happy with it so far.

@sockmerchant I see you have some Belgians and some bugs going. Any advice for this tripel? Its using 3879 Trappist Blend which from research has Ardennes as the base yeast and some brett thrown in for funk...

@mattd2 congrats :)

I havent used this one, so I can only speculate. The only Trappist beer with brett is Orval. So... I'm guessing thats what they are going for. I dont think Wyeast actually has the Orval yeast. So I think you're right, \its probably 3522 Belgian Ardennes which is the Achouffe yeast. I have heard the brett they pitch in secondary is brett brux, though its probably not a single strain.

Orval is an awesome beer, but i would classify it as more of a saison than a tripel.

All the same, I think it'll be good.

FYI: using brett in the primary fermentation (as you are) doesnt generally result in the same types of funky tarty stuff that you get when using it in secondary. However, the beers I have made using a mixed brewers yeast/brett combo in primary have been very good, and quite different from the same recipe without the brett.

I would advise that you give it a month before you bottle or keg. Brett can keep working a little longer than your standard yeast. In saying that, when using brett in primary, the attenuation has been roughly the same as standard yeast (or at least the more attenuative varieties, like US05).

Anyhoo, I bet you will like it. Using the mixed yeast will probably also give you a slightly dryer tripel than without the brett. make sure to let it warm a bit towards the end of fermentation, say day 5ish (or when you get to about 1.030ish). High gravity beers can kind plonk out before its supposed to.

I hate underattenuated tripels myself. Tuatara's Tripel sucks. Way too sweet. Not a good beer at all.

Good luck!

I havent used this one, so I can only speculate. The only Trappist beer with brett is Orval. So... I'm guessing thats what they are going for. I dont think Wyeast actually has the Orval yeast. So I think you're right, \its probably 3522 Belgian Ardennes which is the Achouffe yeast. I have heard the brett they pitch in secondary is brett brux, though its probably not a single strain.

Orval is an awesome beer, but i would classify it as more of a saison than a tripel.

All the same, I think it'll be good.

Yeah it was a play beer to be honest and I've always wanted to play with funk so thought why not. First time for a couple of things with this beer, first time without a bag, first time with mash hopping, first time with bugs...

FYI: using brett in the primary fermentation (as you are) doesnt generally result in the same types of funky tarty stuff that you get when using it in secondary. However, the beers I have made using a mixed brewers yeast/brett combo in primary have been very good, and quite different from the same recipe without the brett.

Thats ok. From what I've read that seems to be the result from it. I'm not overly keen on lots of funk, I just wanted a more complex beer than a standard tripel.

I would advise that you give it a month before you bottle or keg. Brett can keep working a little longer than your standard yeast. In saying that, when using brett in primary, the attenuation has been roughly the same as standard yeast (or at least the more attenuative varieties, like US05).

That was my plan. At least a month, if not longer then about the same in the bottle. Should be good for summer.

Anyhoo, I bet you will like it. Using the mixed yeast will probably also give you a slightly dryer tripel than without the brett. make sure to let it warm a bit towards the end of fermentation, say day 5ish (or when you get to about 1.030ish). High gravity beers can kind plonk out before its supposed to.

I hate underattenuated tripels myself. Tuatara's Tripel sucks. Way too sweet. Not a good beer at all.

Good luck!

Its sitting at 21 after being at 19 for the first 3 days of fermenting. I plan to have it at 22 - 23 towards the end, reckon that'll do it?

I really liked Tuatara's Tripel. Then I tried In Triplicate...

I'll send you one of mine once its done if you like?

23C should be fine towards the end. Could go even higher though.

yeah we can do some swapsies. Warning: most of my recent ones have been odd ball brews. I like em of course, but...be warned :)

I havent had in triplicate. Dont seem to see much of their beer in auckland.... odd. Hear good things about smoko too.

I compare belgian beers with the best from belgium. Tuatara Tripel does not compare well...

I think the best tripel in NZ is Moa's St Josephs. Great traditional tripel.

yeah we can do some swapsies. Warning: most of my recent ones have been odd ball brews. I like em of course, but...be warned :)

I havent had in triplicate. Dont seem to see much of their beer in auckland.... odd. Hear good things about smoko too.

I compare belgian beers with the best from belgium. Tuatara Tripel does not compare well...

Even higher aye. Feels dirty fermenting so high ;)

Hahah its ok. I'll try anything once!

Smoko is like liquid bacon. Beautiful beer. Apparently they've toned it down for Beervana.

Westmalle Trappist has to be all time favourite at the moment. I"ll have to give St Joseph a go and see :)

I hated in triplicate, to me it had the same terrible yeast flavour I got in my early homebrews, I actually couldn't finish it and poured it down the sink.

Bad batch maybe?
I thought it was brilliant!

Possibly, it wasn't the normal yeast derived flavours like other Belgians. It was just the off flavour you get when fermentation has been really wrong. I don't know what did it in my beers, but I got it when I tried to brew mexican cervezas when I was doing extract kits. And I had a faint hint of it in my first all grain but never since then

Well, I tried the St Joseph for breakfast post Beervana so I might need to get me another one to try when I'm not still drunk, but from what I recall its a good drop!

Tripel is still fermenting at 25 degrees. Currently at 1.012 from 1.090 and its still very much fermenting. It seems to be loving the heat it, still feels very wrong fermenting so high, but the yeast is boss. Massive spice on it with a little fruity bitterness undertone from I'm guessing the hops. Loving the taste of it! Hopefully it dries out a little more. Anything from 1.010 - 1.008 and I'll be happy!

Hey NZ brewers,

Any idea where to get rice hulls from I'm in Wellington? Is there a specific shop or place to get them from?

LittleBroBrews said:
Hey NZ brewers,

Any idea where to get rice hulls from I'm in Wellington? Is there a specific shop or place to get them from?

You can't get it. And you can't import it either.
I assume its for wheat based beer? If so sparse and latter slowly.

In other news I made beer on Sunday! Zombie Dust IPA

Visible signs of fermentation have gone. No more krausen, bubbles have gone form the airlock. Time for brett to get in there and do its thing. Very happy with this so far.

Generally speaking, when using brett in primary, it will finish roughly at the same time as your standard yeast.

Good to hear. I just had a taste of my DIPA (still in the process of dry hopping), and is very promising. It has some brett trois in it. I'm not sure it will offer anything massively distinctive in this one, but its tasty so far. An 80+ IBU beer might not be the best way of seeing what taste a yeast offers :p

In other news I made beer on Sunday! Zombie Dust IPA

Well Its been under dryhop since monday, and will be bottled sunday morning, with my friend, who's taking half..... although I'm beginning to regret this.
I opened the fridge to a smell of nothing but Citra, its HHUUUUUGGEEEE!!! It literally smells like a barrel of Passionfruit juice!
1.064 - 1.015 almost exactly where it should be, and there's still Citra available, which mean I could probably brew it again, if i can find the hops.

Sunday will be another brew day (got some catching up to do from my time off).
Dubbed the Sons of Liberty American Porter.
A Robust Porter, Generously hopped with 100% Amarillo Hops.

Well I transferred and dry hopped my super beer today, it's crept up a tiny bit since last measured, it's now 20.7%. Had a little taste as well and whilst the maltiness is still the same the citrus has died down a little and there's a mint flavour coming through

I also bottled half of my chocolate porter and put the other half onto 100 grams of karajoz coffee beans

Any one know where i can get this stuff from? convertase AG-300. Used to break down the complex sugar chains in beer wort. Commonly found with wine making though.

Just bottled the tripel. Finished at 1.008. Absolutely stoked with how it tastes now :rockin: Can't wait to try it carbed!

Cheers
J

Back