Summer Time Rolls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackyardHB

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
American
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 to 4 weeks
Tasting Notes
Clear, crisp, with medium bitterness and tons of Citra Spicy aroma.
I teach 101 Learn to Home Brew classes at our HB shop. I normally I teach extract with some grains to new brewers to illustrate how easy it can be done on their stove top. Being an all grainier I knew there had to be away to achieve the same results in your kitchen. Recently, I have been interested in teaching a mini-mash stove top brewing, so my research lend me to http://byo.com/component/k2/item/507-countertop-partial-mashing. Being optimistic, I brew the same recipe twice to ensure the same results. On both brew sessions this beer come out incredible, one of the finest Blonde Ales I’ve brewed. Not saying this to toot my own horn, honestly a great beer. I normally don’t post recipes online but I wanted to share this recipe with fellow extract/partial brewers.

OG: 1.051 FG 1.011
SRM 6
ABV 5.5%
IBUs 26
3 lbs American 2-row
.25 lbs American Victory
.65 lbs American Caramel 10A°L
3 lbs Liquid Extra Light
1 lbs Dry Extra Light Extract
.10 lbs Barley Flaked
.25 oz Brewers Gold (Pellets, 9.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.25 oz Brewers Gold (Pellets, 9.00 %AA) boiled 30 minutes.
.50 oz Citra (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
2 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 1 minutes.
Yeast: Lallemand 3767 Nottingham

This looks like something I'd like to brew. Could you explain your partial mash process please? Volume of H20, sparge/ no sparge, target temperatures, etc. Thanks for the recipe and help.

ebolabrews said:
Doh! I just read the article you provided a link to....I'll figure it out. Thanks.

Yea, it was an easy brew. The only thing I added was a 2 gallon cooler, no mods. Very surprised on how light the beer come out. When I used to brew indoors I never was able to brew light beers.
I followed the direction to a tee...

BackyardHB said:
Yea, it was an easy brew. The only thing I added was a 2 gallon cooler, no mods. Very surprised on how light the beer come out. When I used to brew indoors I never was able to brew light beers.
I followed the direction to a tee...

Very neat idea.

I am making this beer tonight with a couple of little changes.

I had two 2 gallon coolers so I decided to double grain to 8 lbs and put 4lbs in each cooler.
When I mashed in the grain I tried to get the temp to settle at 154-155 degrees. However, I only got to 150 degrees, I then opened each cooler and quickly poured about 16oz of nearly boiling water to raise the temp. It didn't really work. The coolers are holding at 150 degrees.

I'm going to add 1.5 lb of pilsner DME, the lightest malt extract that my LBS carries.

Any thoughts about how the lower mash temp will affect the outcome?

Back