Need some insight on a pumpkin ale that went sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvestsmiles

Reaction score
I followed a recipe for a pumpkin ale that chose to use canned Libby's Pumpkin in the mash. Not the way i usually do my pumpkin ale. This time I have a sour tasting beer, reminds me of a Gose I made...

I wanted to know if there is something I can do to improve this cuz I didn't want a sour. I am thinking of blending to ease up the sourness but wondered if I there was another option... :drunk:

Any pumpkin I've ever brewed or tasted was too sweet for my taste and I also use Libby's. I don't know how it could be sour other than infection or ingredients. Sour pumpkin is something I have not experienced.

@Nugget, do you also add pumpkin in the mash? That was the first time I added in the mash. Before I would use cut up pumpkin, roast it with some spice and add it in the fermenter. Thought I would try the canned pumpkin in the mash this go-round and maybe something in the mash caused the malt to go sour??? It's not an awful sour, more like a Belgium pumpkin ale. i'm just not a fan of the Belgiums/sours. I get a similar flavor out of it that I did from a Gose I made. I wasn't a fan of that either(acidulated malt) Any other way to cover up the sour, other than blending?

I can't help you with blending but I always add the pumpkin to the mash. I then add the pumpkin spice to the boil.

I've also tried to mash lower around 152f and still to sweet for my taste, however friends and family can't get enough of it. Just not my thing I guess. Maybe your yeast is the problem with the sour taste. I used a Britsh Ale yeast and maybe US-05 or 1056 would have taken some maltyness out.

Thanks Nug, I think I got a contamination issue. I used 2 different yeast strains in the separte 5 gallon batches and same funk in both. I was trying to blame it on the mash but I think I gotta accept I just screwed up somewhere along the sanitation process. :eek: The first pumpkin I did was with Extract with whole pumpking and so far that has been the best batch I have made, it was nice and sweet, probably too much for your liking but a hit with SWMBO. Well thanks for your input, back to the drawing board Cheers!

Back