American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earthquake Pale Ale, cool!

Unfortunately it will make a difference, mostly in your flavor/aroma additions. It will be a bit more bitter as well. Make sure you dry hop it which will help.

I was smart enough to wait to put the last on in about 5 minutes before the end. It's in the carboy but could I still throw some pellets in?

I made a 2.5 gal batch of this yesterday (I chose that quantity because I've got quite a bit to drink already). I simply cut the quantity of ingredients in half, and used Maris Otter instead of American 2-row.

Interestingly, my original gravity was 1.075! Does anyone know why the wort ended up with such a higher gravity than the intended 1.051?

In terms of set-up I'm using a picnic cooler (about 30 litres) as a mash tun, and covering it with a thick duvet, then using a 21 litre stock pot as a boiler. If my calculations are correct I had 79 percent efficiency yesterday!

I'm thinking the original was for 5.5 gallons but don't know if that would raise it that much??

Oh, well then you shouldn't be too bad.

Wait until it's about 90 percent done fermentation and then throw some dry hops in.. sure won't hurt.

Oh, cool. I threw in a bit of priming sugar at the end to give it little kick which might thin the taste too. I'll do the dry hop though.
Thanks!

Brewed this (first all grain too) and was lighting the burner as the earthquake hit us here in Virginia. Everything hit right on the numbers except we had to boil 90 instead of 60 minutes. I could tell it was going to take alittle longer so I held off on the last hops addition. The 60 was 90, 30 a 60 and 15 a 45 though. Will this matter much? How about the rest of the wort? OG was spot on though as well as final volume.

I'm very new at this but I think when you boil longer than the recipe calls for you should stick to the hops schedule. I.e. not put any hops in until you had 60 minutes left in the boil and continued from there. That assures that the hops boil for the same amount as called for by the recipe. Otherwise, the hops get "over extracted".

That was kinda my point, I didn't expect it to take that long to boil off. The worst part is it boiled over nearly a half a dozen times.

Just bottled this, got 51 bottles total. Smelled ficking delicious. I followed the recipe, except I used 8.5lbs 2 row, and I dry hopped with 1oz cascade then crash cooled. I can't wait to taste in 3 weeks. It will be bottle conditioning while Im in dominican republic :ban:

3 weeks in the fridge and this beer is great. I really appreciate how easy it is on the palate, especially on a hot day like today.

Sent from my Android Phone using Home Brew Talk

Pulled a pint of the wonderful brew tonight. Very good. It's about 5 weeks old now.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Had three of these tonight. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-2978129237.jpg

Update...

My over-boiled batch is still bubbling and a week old today. Tested the gravity yesterday and was right on 1.011 and tasted fine. I don't have one just like the recipe to compare but not too bitter at all. Not real hoppy but I was looking for a Bud substitute that was quick to make and it pleased the Bud drinker :mug:

We put about 11 oz. of priming sugar in so I hope it'll go down to 1.05 but we'll see.

Brewed this tonight. Just thought some may be interested in my numbers:

All Grain brew 8-31-11 - started @ 3:30PM - completed w/cleanup @ 9:47PM
Equipment = Keggle system consisting of HLT keggle, Boil keggle & Igloo Ice Cube 60qt Mash Tun
Running dual pumps for recirc & HERMS to maintain temp.
All electric 4500w system with Ranco & HighGravity controllers.
Software = BeerSmith 2.0
Drinking Dry Irish Stout during brew & smoking Bacarrat Petite Corona's.

Actual Data:

Wort Collected 7
Mash pH = 5.2 - used 80%RODI with 1 Campden Tablet
Mashin w/3.5gal @ 152deg
Sparge with 4gal & recirc with HERMS @ 170deg
Mash pH = 5.2

PreBoil Gravity 1.040 w/refractometer adjusted 1.039 using BeerSmith tools
PreBoil Gravity 1.031 w/hydrometer adjusted 1.042 using BeerSmith Tools
Brix = 10
Sample measured temp 125
---
PostBoil Gravity:
hydrometer-1.050 corrected to 1.051 using BeerSmith Tools
refractometer-1.053 corrected to 1.052 using BeerSmith Tools
Sample measured temp 80deg
PostBoil pH-5.2
PostBoil Brix-13.1
Pitched @ 72degrees

Total Wort Collected = 5.25 gallons

9-31-11 - Nottingham Yeast pitched, oxygenated with o2 cylinder and product stored in Aquarium room @ 9:30PM

Notty prep'd 30 minutes prior to pitching, added, (as per notty instructions) small amounts of wort to acclimate. Did this on a batch of Centennial Blonde, (recipe by Biermuncher) a few days ago and fermentation was amazing within 8 hours and rolled like a fiend for almost 36 before slowdown.

Hit all the numbers and can't wait to sample finished product.

Will go 10 days approx in primary until SG=1.011 then rack into keg, cold crash & force carb.

Will post what I expect to be excellent results. This is my first attempt at this brew.

Going to Saints VS Titans @ SuperDome tomorrow so It should be kicking well before I leave.

I kegged up my first batch of this (only 2.5 gallons) a few weeks back. Drew my first pint 10 days ago and kicked the keg tonight. This stuff is downright delicious. Will be brewing this again in the near future.

This is my favorite beer by far, I don't know why I bother brewing anything else ! It's great, crystal clear and delicious !!!!

Wow, I wanted to brew this since February. Brewed it mid August, finally opened first bottle after only 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. BEST beer I have ever made, almost light and refreshing, but my OG/FG made it 5.5% ABV. Love this receipe!

Kinda funny.... this beer was the first one that I had was a dumper. It contracted wild yeast some how and was a total loss. I am still looking to make this as I need something on tap ASAP

Try to brew it again, I think what I really like about this is the 2# of vienna, so tasty. I let it primary for 14 days and then crash cooled for 48 hours, bottled. I opened first bottle after 12 days of conditioning, and it has loads of carbonation!

Just a quick note to say thanks, Ed. I've now made 4 batches of this beer (2 PM and 2 AG), and it has been one of the best received beers among our friends. I served this at my wedding this summer, as well as at the wedding of a good friend, and the guests tore through the kegs (and asked for more) on both occasions.

Recently I've started tweaking AG recipes and experimenting more, and used this as my starting point for all things Pale.

Prost!

After a 3 week primary and a 1 week crash cool in a secondary with gelatin, I kegged this tonight and it was crystal clear. The aroma was great and the hydro sample tasted awesome!

I followed the recipe to a tee with 1 exception... I dry hopped the keg with 1 ounce of cascade in a nylon paint strainer bag using the biermuncher method. This is my first time doing this so I'll post an update soon!

Brewed this as my first all grain brew after a year hiatus. Followed exactly, sadly due to mistakes in the brewing process that may be related to drinking I missed my sparge temp and only got a 70% efficency followed by half the initial bittering cascades boiling over in the very beginning. I hop bursted an additional .25oz. of Cascade at 30 and 45 minutes in followed by an ounce of Amarillo at Flame out for deliciousness.

What I ended up with after a 2 Week Primary, with a week cold crash and 4 weeks in bottle is a wonderful, 4.9% ABV 32 IBU Sessionable pale ale I can drink all day. Bitter, Perfumey and Dry with a bit of grain sitting in there. It tastes very much like a lighter little brother of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I've yet to be let down by an EdWort recipe!

Brewed this today using my homegrown cascade. Only modification I'm making is a 1oz dry hop in a secondary (because I had an extra ounce from my harvest). hehe.

Will post and let you know how it turned out.

TheGeek said:
Brewed this today using my homegrown cascade. Only modification I'm making is a 1oz dry hop in a secondary (because I had an extra ounce from my harvest). hehe.

Will post and let you know how it turned out.

Sounds great. You will not be disappointed.

I brewed this today for the first time. I was trying to work some kinks out of my system. I did a half batch and got about 2.75 gallons in the fermenter at 1.045. Brew day went great, 4.5 hours from start to finish. First time using my chiller as well. Hoping to hear some bubbling before bedtime tonight. I'm very optimistic about this one

Brewed on Saturday with some 1056 from a local brew pub that I frequent. Second time with this recipe and I loved it the first time.

Did the extract version of this...added centennial for bittering since AHBS cascade came in a little low on the %AA.

10 days primary, cold crashed, kegged and chilled for 1 week. Amazing! Crisp and crystal clear. This one now has a dedicated keg.

Thanks, Ed!

I hop bursted an additional .25oz. of Cascade at 30 and 45 minutes in followed by an ounce of Amarillo at Flame out for deliciousness.

Funny, I haven't heard "hopbursted" in a while. :rockin:

I'm planning to brew this later today or tomorrow and use it as a starting point for my own Haus Ale. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone else have issues with head retention with this beer? I bottled it just over two weeks ago, and have been drinking it this week. Whilst having noticable carbonation, the head dies away rather quickly. Does it just need to condition longer?

It tastes bloody great though!

I just brewed this for the 1st time tonight. I tried to stay true to the original recipe as well as I could.

The big differences were that I got 80% efficiency, but only ended up with 5 gallons of wort.
So...
I got an OG of 1.061 SG.
Estimated IBUs 32.8
Estimated FG of 1.012
Estimated ABV of 6.4% (Oops! :drunk:)

I'll report back in a few weeks with more results! :mug:

This is a great beer! It was my first all-grain brew. Originally my plan was to brew a bunch of different styles & recipes before revisiting any one beer but I'm going to have to put this back into rotation very soon.

Brewed this recipe this past weekend and followed it exactly - with increases in my bittering addition due to the cascade being 5.4% vs 6.6%. Had one issue, not related to the recipe, but to me not adjusting my process. Normally I boil for 90 min on all my beers. I boiled for 60 and forgot to account for that and ended up at 1051 vs 1060 in my OG. I'm sure it will turn out great, and that much more sessionable, as it tasted fantastic going into the kettle. Will post back with results on my 5% ABV version in works!

I brewed this beer yesterday. I erroneously set it as a 5 gallon batch in beer smith instead of 5.5. I hit the target OG of 1.057 exactly (per beersmith). I bumped the 15 and 5 minute hop additions to .5oz. I couldnt help myself I have like three pounds of homegrown cascades sitting around in the garage!

It had been over a year since I last brewed. I must say; it's just like riding a bike! I love my system....I have it so dialed. I'm really looking forward to tasting this beer in a few weeks. Thanks EdWort!

I made it last year and I'm going to brew it again this year. It's actually time for me to wipe the cobwebs off the brewhaus.

Does anyone else have issues with head retention with this beer? I bottled it just over two weeks ago, and have been drinking it this week. Whilst having noticable carbonation, the head dies away rather quickly. Does it just need to condition longer?

It tastes bloody great though!

No this beer usually has great head retention and laces all the way to bottom of glass for me. More time or make sure glass is bar clean, no soap/oil residue.

Back