Inconsistent carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncowling

Reaction score
I have gone through several batches of cider, and keep running into the same issue when bottle carbonating. For some reason, some bottles are noticeably more carbonated than others.

Thinking it was an issues with how I added my primer (apple juice concentrate) to my racking bucket, when I added the primer this time I stirred the cider/primer before borrowing to help it dissolve. Still have same issue.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

So are you just priming with apple juice concentrate? How are you adding the concentrate to the cider? You could try some corn sugar dissolved into 2 cups of water adding that to the bottling bucket then racking the cider on to that and mixing it together. I have no experience with priming with just concentrate but I would think it would be the same method. :mug:

That's exactly what I do with the concentrate. I use a ratio of one can thawed apple juice concentrate per 5 gallons of cider.

I pour the concentrate in the bottling bucket, then add the cider to the borrowing bucket, then rack into bottles. Last batch I stirred the cider and concentrate together in the bottling bucket before bottling to try and get an even mix. Still seem to have the same inconsistency issues.

I have had the same issues myself with the same circumstances. It seams as though a good mixing is just not enough. We mixed our 35 gallon batchs several times during bottling and still managed to make a few bombs.

I like lots of fizz in much cider and I push it to close the edge of safety for these inconsistantcies. So I am going to make a stainless steel paddle and rig it up to mix the batch continually. I just se no other way.

Latest posts

Back