Kettle Suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcactus

Reaction score
Hi all:

New brewer here. Bought some equipment and made my first brew the other day. I used a cheap 4 gallon pot to brew and while it worked, it definitely motivated me to get a better kettle (and to make a wort chiller, but that's a different story).

Any recommendations on kettles that will let me avoid future upgrades? I'm thinking that a kettle well-suited for doing all-grain batches a keg (generally 5 gallons, yes?) at a time gives me about as much room for growth as I think I'll ever need.

My current thoughts are that a 10 gallon kettle would let me do full-boil all-grain batches of 5-gallon brews. I also thought a built-in spigot and thermometer would be a worthwhile investment. A sight glass seems like a useful feature, but I'm not sure if that's just the newbie in me getting bright-eyed over any and all gadgets.

Any input or suggestions?

Thanks,

DC

Like your idea of going for the larger size kettle. For 5 gallon finished you may want to have 8 gallon capacity. I went with 8 gallon at first but quickly wished I had moved toward the 10 gallon size so I could do some 6 gallon recipes where I keg 3 gallons and bottle 3 gallons to give away as samples.

Back