Figuring the FG at 78 degrees F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliloop

Reaction score
Hellooo,

Ok, so I'm trying my best to figure myself out when it comes to the hydrometer readings and final gravity and all that stuff. I'm not simply asking for the answer, but to also understand how it's figured out.

I made a Bell's HopSlam IPA (and it smells and tastes great!), with a dry hop in the secondary. My FG reading was at 1.018. I measured it at 78 degrees F. I'm seeing in various places various numbers to add to get the actual FG, so I'm not sure which to believe.

Am I correct to assume if it's 78 but should be 60 degrees, and I should follow the one that says I should add between .002-.003 for every 10 degrees, then my 1.018 should gain .005ish making it 1.023?

And, if that is correct and my FG is 1.023, and my OG was 1.065, then my ABV will be... (1.065 - 1.023 = 42 x .1414 =) 5.9%???

If I got it, yay!
If I don't... help! Please break me down with the correct info. THANKS!

---
Upcoming brew: Fish Tale Trout Stout clone
Upcoming brew: Raspberry Wheat
Fermenting: Community Coffee Chicory Stout
Bottled: Bell's HopSlam IPA
Drinking: Belgian White
Drinking: ESB
Drinking: California Commons

I've never had a problem taking my readings straight out of the mash or boil. I think the highest I ever plugged in to Beer alchemy was 186ºF and still got an accurate reading. If you have a brewing program, many will make the calculations for you.

At 186F it's cooling fast and the each degree has a huge impact on the reading. I put mine in a coffee cup in the freezer until it's under 100F. That hot will ruin my test jar.

Thanks all. I don't know what exactly I did, but my goodness is this strong! After 3 and you're knocked on your arse!
Definitely will be making the HopSlam again.

Bottled: Fish Tale Trout Stout clone
Bottled: Community Coffee Chicory Stout
2nd Ferm: Raspberry Wheat
Nearly Gone: Bell's HopSlam IPA
Drinking: Belgian White
Drinking: California Commons
Done, Need More: ESB

Back