Different crystal malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's a difference beyond color between the various crystal malts, IE crystal 20L and 80L. I've noticed recipes in "Brewing Classic Styles" and elsewhere that call for multiple different crystal malts, just wondering if there's a reason beyond trying to exactly hit a color.

The flavors are different, too. It gets more and more caramely and rich tasting as the color gets darker.

Crystal malts impart both color and flavor to a brew.. The darker the malt, the more "roasty" flavor you can expect. 1 lb of 20L will impart way less "malt" flavor than a lb of 80L. If you eat a kernel of each kind you can taste the difference..

Yep, and adding 6x the amount of crystal 20 won't get you the same flavor as crystal 120 simply because that longer kilning produces deeper, darker flavors.

keep that in mind when doing crystal substitutes for color...sub 80 for 120 (i.e. as close as you can get, and run a calculator for the proportion to use to get teh same SRM)

Back