Smallest Nitro tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to re-do my keezer (add 2 regular taps and a stout tap) and I'm looking for a small nitro tank. I can only find 5# tanks, and only in aluminum. Since everything here in NYC is trade-out, I don't want to pay $100 for a shiny aluminum tank and have them swap it out with a crappy steel one. Is there such a thing as a 2# nitro tank? I know I've seen O2 and CO2 tanks that small, but no nitro/argon.

Any ideas on where to get one? Also, how many kegs of stout can I push with one tank of beergas?

Thanks
B

I know about the paintball tanks, but the gas places in NYC won't fill them with beer gas. I could get 100% nitro fill, but then I'd have to swap back and forth between nitro and CO2, so the beer would stay carbed. That's why I'm looking for a tank that can be filled with beer gas.

B

I'm getting ready to re-do my keezer (add 2 regular taps and a stout tap) and I'm looking for a small nitro tank. I can only find 5# tanks, and only in aluminum. Since everything here in NYC is trade-out, I don't want to pay $100 for a shiny aluminum tank and have them swap it out with a crappy steel one. Is there such a thing as a 2# nitro tank? I know I've seen O2 and CO2 tanks that small, but no nitro/argon.

Any ideas on where to get one? Also, how many kegs of stout can I push with one tank of beergas?

Thanks
B

Have you searched around for anything used? That would certainly cut the cost down. Also aren't steel tanks stronger and don't they last longer than aluminum? The only issue they have is rust from what I know about compressed gas/air tanks. Ooh and they're heavier.

I'm not concerned with steel vs aluminum, I just don't want to pay $100 for a brand new Al tank and trade it out for a beat up steel one. If I could find a cheap steel one, I'd trade it out in a heartbeat.

I might just call the gas company and see if I can lease/buy one from them. Might be the easiest and quickest.

B

Some places you just give them a deposit on the tank. When I moved here, the shop I took my steel tanks to asked if swapping to aluminum was okay. He likes to reserve the steel tanks for guys who insist on it. So, I have two nice, light tanks.

Have you checked with AirGas? That's where I go. I ordered a 40cf tank from them for $120 I believe, and the mix was $40. They had to special order the mix. I was thinking 20cf was the smallest (CO2 is measure in pounds, nitrogen in cubic feet). I wouldn't go too small, as it won't last long. You are injecting 30psi into a keg.

Distance: 6 miles
Name: Airgas East
Phone: (866) 718-0685
Fax: (718) 822-2148
Address: 895 Zerega Ave.,
Bronx, NY 10473
Facility Type(s): Branch
Get Directions

Distance: 15 miles
Name: Airgas East
Phone: (866) 718-0685
Fax: (973) 742-0025