Something with this recipe doesn't seem right..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
I picked up a grain/extract kit at my LHBS yesterday but after reading the directions, something doesn't seem right. It's a "Summerbrau" recipe ( a clone of Sam Summer Ale ). The ingriedients are as follows:

3 lbs DME Gold
1/2 lb Lager Malt Grain
1 lb Carapils Malt Grain
1 lb Vienna Malt Grain
12oz Wheat
3/4oz Hallertau (Boiling)
1oz Tettnang hops (finishing)

OG 1.040 - 1.050
FG 1.010 - 1.015

Directions basically say to fill 1.5 Gallons of water in stockpot and begin to heat. Fill grain bag with all grains and wheat. Place into water and heat the water. Remove grain bag when water begins to boil. Next, stir in the DME and bring to boil.

This is not the proper procedure for steeping and I'm not 100% sure that all of these grains are supposed to be steeped. I just read John Palmer's book that specifically warned against steeping grains right up to the boil.

Any thoughts and input are greatly appreciated, I have not started this recipe but anticipate doing so in the next few days.

Another way to steep grains is to steep them for 30 minutes in 160-170 degree water, remove the grains and bring wort to a boil, add hops, and a small portion of the extract. Add the remaining extract in the final 10 minutes of the boil (for more info on this, search for late extract addition)

Good luck and Cheers!

That's wrong.. Proceed as you normally would and steep the grains as you normally do (to about 150-160 as the water heats).. Don't heat them above that.. just below boiling is NOT good for grain.. Your LHBS people are idiots if they are recommending that..

ya i would not do that. you can start to pull some off flavor from the grain at high temps like that i wouldn't go over 160. and that's the high end. you should do it how you think you should do it, but not that way.

I was thinking of steeping the grains for 30 minutes between 150 and 160. I was also under the impression that some grains cannot be steeped and they need to be mashed? Any input as far as that goes?

Most steeping is for color and flavor. Mashing converts starches to sugars.
Mashing often involves (not always) pounds of base malt, which replaces the LME or DME (liquid malt extract, dry malt extract). When mashing, the steeping grains are tossed in with the mashed grains, (for flavor and color).

Steeping - from cold water up to 150-ish, then withdraw. do NOT squeeze, but a rinse is nice.
Mashing usually from 152 to 158, depending on mouthfeel and alcohol level desired (yes, that critical). Also rinsed (sparged), not squeezed.
Squeezing imparts the tannins in the husks, lending a very astringent, bitter taste - but not bitter like hops. unpleasant bitter.

All grains, steeping or mashing, need to be cracked - either by your supplier, or with a rolling pin or mill.

Good luck, welcome to the forum!

I was thinking of steeping the grains for 30 minutes between 150 and 160. I was also under the impression that some grains cannot be steeped and they need to be mashed? Any input as far as that goes?

I think, but not certain, some of those grains have the proper enzymes needed for mashing, so you'll effectively have a mini mash going on while steeping.

If you've read Palmer's book your on the right track, most kit directions are geared toward the newbies that haven't read a book like Palmer's and would probably be overwhelmed with the details. Hang Glider is right on with the difference between mashing and steeping. However, your Lager (I'm thinking that is Pilsen) malt, Vienna, and Wheat need to be mashed (mini mashed) whereas the Cara-Pills can be steeped.

The others are right too in that boiling temps are not good for any grain. Go back and hit chapters 12-13 of Palmer's book and you should be fine.

I does seem to be a little low on the DME to me too. Another half pound or so would make it easier to hit that OG.

At any rate, you'll wind up with beer... Stick with Palmer's book you wont go wrong. He also co-authored a book with Jamil Zanisheff that has excellent recipes that you should be able to put together for about the same price as a ready made kit.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's wrong.. Proceed as you normally would and steep the grains as you normally do (to about 150-160 as the water heats).. Don't heat them above that.. just below boiling is NOT good for grain.. Your LHBS people are idiots if they are recommending that..
Yet, Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing (3rd edition) recommend that in the general instructions of Betterbrew (brewing with specialty grains & malt extract). Not for any recipe though (which use the "normal" way).

Is Papazian an idiot?

Steeping and mashing are different, but their difference eluded me for quite some time as I learned how to brew. The difference is subtle, yet there is an important difference. Mashing grains is done to convert starches into sugars, which is important in order to prevent haze in your beer.

There's a good thread on this here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/can-only-certain-grains-steeped-103379/

In a nutshell mashing is a sort of steeping in which grains containing starch are steeped with special attention paid to temperature, time, and the presence of the proper enzymes. All of the grains listed in the OP's recipe need mashed except for the Carapils.

It is possible that the person who compiled the recipe expected that a complete conversion of the starches would take place in the time it took to come to a boil. I wouldn't chance it, which is why I recommend mashing.

Mash temperatures vary from about 148-158. At the low end of the scale you will get a more fermentable wort resulting in a drier beer. the upper end will leave more unfermentable sugars for a sweeter taste.

Back