question about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StallionMang

Reaction score
Hi. I do not understand the biology of yeast that well, so I thought I would ask a paranoid question.

After my last brew, I was lazy, and I left an unclean fermentation bucket with trub still in it in the corner of my bathroom for quite a while. A few weeks ago, my roommate and I both came down with a bad cough that has still not gone away. The only symptom is coughing, and anti-biotics have not helped.

Is there any way that all of the water vapor in the bathroom due to showering could have rehydrated any of that yeast and caused our lungs to get infected? I am probably being paranoid, but I would like some re-assurance that yeast doesn't do that, and that that is not what is giving me this cough.

Thanks!

Rob

The brewing yeast is definitely not the cause of your cough. No way to rule out the possibility that your illness came from some other nasty mold or bacteria that may have grown in/on the nasty crap you left percolating in your bathroom.

Yes, in no way was it the yeast itself. I'm glad doctors are still indiscriminately passing out anti-biotics despite the potential repercussions. :rolleyes:

I would try to think of some other change that has occured in you and your roommate's life... change of living situation, new work/school environment, spending a lot of time in a car, taking up smoking:)D). Does the cough increase/diminish when you go from one environment to another? It could be mold, allergens (change of seasons), or just some crazy virus that took hold. If it's a virus, it will go away on it's own. If mold due to water intrusion is highly suspect (drywall stained, flooring buckling, musty odor, etc.), you might consider getting your home evaluated by a reputable firm. You can PM me for more info if you narrow it down to mold due to water intrusion.

Thank you both for your replies! Quite reassuring.

I have been doing a little amateur research of fungal infections of the lung, and since I am not coughing up blood and I am not experiencing any other symptoms, I am going to guess that I probably just have a really tenacious virus. But I am going into the doctor tomorrow for a chest x-ray, so I guess I'll find out for sure then.

Thanks again!

Yeah I'd have to agree with the other replies that it probably isn't the yeast itself. However, keep in mind that you had a fantastic bacterial broth in that bucket. If not properly washed, any number of microorganisms can also take route. In particular certain strains of commonly used bugs like E.coli (found in your feces, and subsequently all over your bathroom when you flush...if you leave the lid open) grow VERY well in Yeast Extract, and dead yeast. I'm not saying you're infected with E.coli, it's just a for instance. I would definitely wash that fermentation bucket/carboy out very quickly though.

Hi. I do not understand the biology of yeast that well, so I thought I would ask a paranoid question.

After my last brew, I was lazy, and I left an unclean fermentation bucket with trub still in it in the corner of my bathroom for quite a while. A few weeks ago, my roommate and I both came down with a bad cough that has still not gone away. The only symptom is coughing, and anti-biotics have not helped.

Is there any way that all of the water vapor in the bathroom due to showering could have rehydrated any of that yeast and caused our lungs to get infected? I am probably being paranoid, but I would like some re-assurance that yeast doesn't do that, and that that is not what is giving me this cough.

Thanks!

Rob

:fro: 10 Characters

Back