Sanitizing/Cleaning my new Oxynator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Mike

Reaction score
Brewers,

I received an Oxynator oxygen system for XMas (Thanks to my supportive better half!). The instructions say to boil the stone for 15 mins, but I like to keep things simple and am thinking of soaking the tube attached to the stone in my StarSan bucket before dropping it in my filled carboy. Will this be enough?

How do you sanitize and clean your stone/tubing?

Thanks,
Mike

I just soak mine in Star San but there may be a reason the are telling you to boil before the first use I'd follow the instruction at least before the first use

Is boily a couple cup of water really that hard to achieve?

Do you have a microwave? If yes, boil the water first and drop the stone in there for a while.

I think the point here is to loosen up any sugars that may be trapped in the pores. Hot water will achieve that result best.

+1 boiling works the best. Even though I thoroughly clean the stone after use you still get some old wort coming off the stone while boiling/ sanitizing.

+1 boiling works the best. Even though I thoroughly clean the stone after use you still get some old wort coming off the stone while boiling/ sanitizing.

Yeah, I agree. I boil it before and after each use. We have a little pot that only holds a little over a cup of water and fits nice on the smallest burner. I think the agitation of a good boil is needed to clean the wort out of the porosity of the stone.

Is boily a couple cup of water really that hard to achieve?

No, boily is easy of course. But why would I boil anything if I don't have to. I have a bucket of StarSan on hand from sanitizing my carboy during the wort boil, I would rather just dip the stone and tube in the StarSan.

Yeah, I agree. I boil it before and after each use. We have a little pot that only holds a little over a cup of water and fits nice on the smallest burner. I think the agitation of a good boil is needed to clean the wort out of the porosity of the stone.

I'll throw a small saucepan on the stove for the last 15 mins of my wort boil...

I'm assuming the little clip that came with it is for the stone end of the tubing. Do you attach the stone and then dip in starsan to cover the outside of the O2 tube?

I have never boiled my oxygenator. I always sanitize in b brite or star san. No issues to date with probably 20-30 brews. Boiling does sound like a decent idea though, just one extra step.

All the Best!

Latest posts

Back