Conical Users: Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitsPale

Reaction score
So I'm debating on getting a minibrew conical. I like the idea of single vessel fermentation and the price is right.

That said - when you drain sediment, etc. from the bottom port, the level of good beer falls, correct. So after 2 weeks in a conical, there should be no sediment, and good beer (little or no sediment) should be all the way to to the apex of the cone. Right?

Then you use the racking port (upper) to rack to your kegs. How do you get all the beer out? Is there a racking arm inside to dip down near the apex of the cone?

Finally - when you're draining the sediment out, how do you know how much to let out? Just drain until you start getting clear beer?

Thanks,
Andy

From what I've read (I'm considering a conical as well) people drain out the yeast until they see clear beer. Supposedly the amount lost is minimal...

I've never seen one of those up close. Their website does not clearly indicate whether the racking port has a movable arm on the inside like all of the SS conicals do. Maybe call them?

Plus search the forum. I'm sure there are people on here who use them.

I have the conical that both of you are considering. Let me see if I can answer your questions and concerns.

>>>That said - when you drain sediment, etc. from the bottom port, the level of good beer falls, correct. So after 2 weeks in a conical, there should be no sediment, and good beer (little or no sediment) should be all the way to to the apex of the cone. Right?<<<

In theory yes. What I do is drain after I have had active fermentation for several days is put a coffee cup under the bottom port and fill until full. I then repeat this procedure daily for two - three days. I really don't worry about leaving a little sediment in the cone. My main goal is to get the sediment below the racking port.

>>>Then you use the racking port (upper) to rack to your kegs. How do you get all the beer out? Is there a racking arm inside to dip down near the apex of the cone?<<<

I rack from the racking port directly into the keg. As the beer gets lower in the conical I will tip it forward to get what I can. Once my kegs are full or when I can't get anymore beer out of the racking port I'm done. I always have one - two cup of sediment that has settled in the cone and just dump down the drain. Believe me you would not want to drink it.

>>>Finally - when you're draining the sediment out, how do you know how much to let out? Just drain until you start getting clear beer?<<<

Again I just fill up a coffee cup full of sediment and dump. My goal is to get the sediment below the racking port

One of the things that I do is always try and put five and half gallons in the conical. With that and my yeast and starter I am up to five and half - three forths gallons. After I am done dumping the sediment and the left over that is below the racking port I have more or less five gallons of beer.

Another trick with using the 6.5 mini fermetor that I have is that it has a plastic cap. When there is active fermentation going on the cap is expanded out. This is a great way to monitor, although unscientic active fermentation. When you dump sediment the cap will deflate. If active fermetation is going on the cap will then cap will expand again.

In short the mini fermetor is one of my most valuable pieces of equipment my only regret is that I don't have two which will soon be remedied.

I you have any further question don't hesitate to ask.

TD

Back