Clearing a beer in two days for competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
For whatever reason my West Coast IPA gelatin addition didn't clear it up. It's got a significant chill haze three weeks in the keg. I'm sending this beer into a competition and it is due for drop off in two days.

Should I:

1) Add more gelatin and hope it's cleared up by the time I bottle it in two days

2) Bottle it and add a tiny bit of gelatin (good idea?)

3) Don't worry about it, bottle it, and hope it clears by the June 1st judging

4) Transfer all beer into a new keg leaving a gallon left in the original. Cross fingers that the chill haze has just slow to fall out of suspension and the last gallon will be clear (this has happened a few time to me)

i know some may disagree but I swear I messed up my head retention in a recent belgium tripel using too much gelatin. I used about 1.5 tablespoons in a 5 gallon batch (waay too much). it cleared quickly and beautifully but still, to this day, does not hold a head and barely leaves any lace on a glass and I know it held up well before the gelatin cause I was drinking it beforehand. Isn't a certain amount of cloudiness acceptable in a hoppy IPA? Probably a good idea to check the BJCP guidelines if you haven't already.

i know some may disagree but I swear I messed up my head retention in a recent belgium tripel using too much gelatin. I used about 1.5 tablespoons in a 5 gallon batch (waay too much). it cleared quickly and beautifully but still, to this day, does not hold a head and barely leaves any lace on a glass and I know it held up well before the gelatin cause I was drinking it beforehand. Isn't a certain amount of cloudiness acceptable in a hoppy IPA? Probably a good idea to check the BJCP guidelines if you haven't already.

Appearance: Color ranges from golden amber to light copper, but most are pale to medium amber with an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with off-white color should persist.

appearance is 3 points, you'll maybe get dinged 1 point unless it's cloudy like a hefe

i wouldn't mess with it anymore on short notice - maybe drop the temps to as close to freezing as possible to see if any more drops out

ipas are normally a bit hazy from all the hops and dry hops

appearance is 3 points, you'll maybe get dinged 1 point unless it's cloudy like a hefe

i wouldn't mess with it anymore on short notice - maybe drop the temps to as close to freezing as possible to see if any more drops out

Exactly!

Hops haze is expected, and for chill haze the judges will knock off 1 point. A slightly hazy beer can do extremely well in competition, as long as it's not murky.

I would NOT use any more finings which can strip out flavor. And I wouldn't risk oxidation. I would submit the beer "as is".

I agree with this, apperance is not a big points. Plus if it is chill haze, I thought gelatin did nothing for it.
If you are entering to get feedback hopefully they will give you pointers on how to reduce it; if you are entering to win prizes then you will have to hope that everything else makes up for that 1-2 point drop due to the haze.

Back