Ideal IBU's for Lacto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I made a lacto starter and I'm planning on pitching that into my wort for a few days before pitching my Brett C starter. I am hoping to get a lot of tartness out of the lacto. What range should I keep my IBU's for this? BTW this is not a Berliner Weiss, just a sour ale.

The "ideal" IBUs for Lacto are 0. I don't see a reason to go higher, you aren't going to taste 5-10 IBUs anyway and even at that level it could cause problems. The max IBUs that different species/strains can handle varies. I’ll also say to be careful of White Labs strain, I haven’t got much sourness from it even alone, and several other brewers have mentioned the same thing.

I've found the grain to be more assertive than store-bought, although I've never compared IBU-tolerance, since I go with Mike's zero approach. As mentioned, there is bound to be more than just lacto in there, but I've never had problems with flavor, bottle bombs, etc...

Making a starter really helps to, dropping the pH below where most of the nasty microbes thrive.

pH 3.8-4.2 is a good sweet spot. I'd shoot for 10 IBU's since you have an uncontrolled bug zoo.

Back