Looking for homebrew kit...(?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duker

Reaction score
OK, I have been looking for a homebrew kit for awhile and I can not decide which to buy...there boil kits, no-boils kits, use sugar to prime, don't use sugar to prime-YIKES!!! Can anybody help?...Please :drunk:

Just buy the ones most commonly sold- a 60 min kit With priming sugar-
No boil kits take half of the fun of the experience away, and I've never even seen a kit without priming sugar- (not that I have seen it all).
Go to Midwest or Northernbrewer etc, and get an ale kit- Browns are great first kits! My first was a brown and its been one of my favorite batches yet.

If you are just starting out try an extract kit. It's usually easy and a good starting point for beginners. Then after you've made a few extract batches move up to partial mash kits. If you've then got the itch and monies, go all grain.

Truthfully, check out Austin homebrew supply, Northern Brewer, Midwest supply, etc... Just to name a few and or Google to try and find some other places. Check your local listings for a local Hombrew Store near you. If you get an extract kit I would recommend a easy pale ale. Remember to keep it simple. This hobby/craft WILL grow on you!

WOW, you guys are fast! Thanks for the help. I have been looking at a BEER MAN no boil kit and it uses carbonating tabs (not sugar). Anyone heard of or used this kit?

No- but I have heard of carb tabs. They work, but I prefer 5 oz of priming sugar because its a little more traditional. Carb tabs are- really- just bottle sized units of priming sugar- unless I missed something.
+1 for the Roqk- Midwest Et. Al. have great kits and will talk your ear off on the phone if you need help.

My first recipe was a Brewers Best English brown ale. It turned out really well and is a nice tasting beer. +1 for midwest or austin, but if you're looking for something you can possibly get locally and the LHBS doesn't do custom recipe/kits then I'd recommend going for a Brewers Best.

nb

duker said:
OK, I have been looking for a homebrew kit for awhile and I can not decide which to buy...there boil kits, no-boils kits, use sugar to prime, don't use sugar to prime-YIKES!!! Can anybody help?...Please :drunk:

I would say dont go for the the no boil. I have not heard many good things about them and extract is not hard at all.

I make the no boil coopers kits - beer turns out great for me - all you have to do is mix the canned kit in some hot water with some malt extract stir it up right good and your all set. So your no boil kit should make some nice beer.

It all depends how much time and effort you want to spend though. Most people on here like the extract kits where you add your own hops and steepn grains. It is a little more challenging and time consuming but you have a little bit more control over the finished product.

As for priming - corn sugar works great.

Ive tasted both styles and whatever one you choose I personally find the beer tastes good - im not a conneseur though - i just like a good tasting refreshing beer :)

enjoy - cheers

Might as well get use to the boil method since after the first brew you will be addicted...............errr wanting to make more and better brew, which will require boiling for either extract or all grain.

I suggest Extract + Steeping Grains, It is Extremely Easy and Very Hard to Screw up you will get Full Directions On what to do and It is a lot more fun then those No Boil kits, and you will have more control over color and taste as well as learning what specialty Grains do what. So I strongly Recommend Ex+Steeping Dont be Nervous its easy!

RICLARK said:
I suggest Extract + Steeping Grains, It is Extremely Easy and Very Hard to Screw up you will get Full Directions On what to do and It is a lot more fun then those No Boil kits, and you will have more control over color and taste as well as learning what specialty Grains do what. So I strongly Recommend Ex+Steeping Dont be Nervous its easy!

+1 every batch I have done is this method. Steeping grains gives you that little extra that you can't get out of an extract only brew, but less equipment then AG.

duker said:
WOW, you guys are fast! Thanks for the help. I have been looking at a BEER MAN no boil kit and it uses carbonating tabs (not sugar). Anyone heard of or used this kit?

I actually have the Beer Man setup and so far have been happy with the results. I haven't tasted my own brew as it is still in the fermenter, but a friend of mine who turned me on to it has given me some of his brews and I enjoy them. As long as you let the beer stay in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks and then bottle condition for 2-3 weeks it turns out pretty good. Way better than store bought.

Now that being said, even with my first batch in the fermenter I am already looking at getting a glass carboy and all the other stuff I need to do extract partial boil brews. I will most likely do 2 or 3 more of the beer man kits though because of time constraints right now. The plus side is I already have about half of what I need to start doing the extracts.

Truth be told, I kind of wish that I would had done a little more research and read through How to Brew by Palmer before I bought the Beer Man. That book really opened my eyes to home brewing.

So which ever way you go I don't think you will be disappointed! And I don't know if I have been here long enough or done enough brewing, but nonetheless, welcome to the world of homebrewing! :tank:

+1 RICLARK- well stated. I myself was talking about kits where you steep specialty grains- but did not write about them nearly as well. But thats about the size of it.
And Brew Guy- I'm glad that I never waisted my money on a MrBeer or the like- but there are plenty of wicked brewers around this place that did- so your not the only one.

Any one of these recipe kits from Austin Homebrew Supply would be a great way to get started.

I've recently brewed the IPA kit, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

oguss, I don't really view it a waste of money. Sure I could have spent the $100 ($60 equip/$40 kit) on a different type of starter kit, but at the time I didn't know I was going to get so obsessed over making beer, oh how wrong I was! :D

Also I look at the little bit of experience that I gained in sanitizing, water, and the like extremely valuable. So all in all I am glad that I went the route that I did, I just cant wait till I I take it to the next level.

Everyone on this board has been awesome and helpful. I cant wait till I will be able to answer questions with the expertise and confidence like the rest of you! :mug:

If you have an addictive personality like all of the people posting above me, run. Run now, fast and long.

Don't do what I did and order the Nut Brown Ale extract kit from Northern Brewery. Don't brew it, watch it, bottle it and after some time finally taste it. No, don't.

You will soon be ordering more, then reading about this all grain thing and finally....you will be just like the rest of us.

welcome

For someone that has a very tight schedule, the no boil kits are a great option.

I've brewed about 8 or 10 of these kits, and every one of them has been fantastic. Right up there with basic all grain beer that I've tasted.

I can't wait to get into extract & specialty grain kits again, but it'll have to wait until time permits!

Brew Guy- my bad- I didnt mean to say that a mr beer kit was a waste of money in anything more than the retrospective sense.

Gammon N Beer said:
If you have an addictive personality like all of the people posting above me, run. Run now, fast and long.

Don't do what I did and order the Nut Brown Ale extract kit from Northern Brewery. Don't brew it, watch it, bottle it and after some time finally taste it. No, don't.

You will soon be ordering more, then reading about this all grain thing and finally....you will be just like the rest of us.

welcome

:mug: First off, Thanks everybody for all the "GREAT" info, this will help!

Gammon N Beer, too late, I may have already been sucked in, this is EXACTLY the combination that is at the top of my list.

As I stated I have been looking for awile, but more serious as of late, I will take in all the info and will make a purchase this weekend.

Thanks again and wish me luck. I will post back with which direction I go!:rockin:

Buy the best kit you can, steeping grains and a full boil are a must IMHO.

You might even think about trying my method in Homebrewing 1A in the link below.

If you just want to get your feet wet, think about buying carbonation tabs to eliminate the need to rack out and add sugar as a separate step. It is only 3 bucks and can make your life much easier when you are just starting out.

Regardless; be patient.

Mother Nature cannot be rushed.

Cheers,

knewshound

oguss0311 said:
Brew Guy- my bad- I didnt mean to say that a mr beer kit was a waste of money in anything more than the retrospective sense.

Hey man don't sweat it, no need to apologize, I too was just giving my two cents on the matter. RDWHAHB! :mug: (Or at least I plan to once it is done, black butte then! :) )

:ban: Finally...I got a Brew-kit coming!!!, I found a company with a kit that has all I need to get started, fermenrters, brewpot, glass bottles, caps, capper, and an American Amber to get me started, should be here Tuesday:rockin:

Thanks, I am counting down the days until my "Brewery":rockin: arrives, I had never even tasted a homebrew beer, untill the other day, but I have been researching it for a while. A buddy that I work with has also been researching, he actually recd Mr. Beer as a gift from the outlaws for Christmas, I had one Friday :mug: and it wasn't bad...so then I was really stoked...my kit shipped from St. Paul MN. this morning.

:ban: I CAN'T WAIT:ban:

Do I sound obsessed?

Did I mention it should be here in 2 days

That will be Thursday...

Just in time for the weekend...SWEET

Nope, no obsession here!

Yeah no obsession, I know how that goes. I still have week before my first batch comes out of primary and I already have the stuff for the next brew on the way.

Oh and not only that tomorrow I am hitting up the LHBS to get a 6 gal Better Bottle and the other stuff I need to make EdWort's Apfelwein!!!

So what are you brewing first? :mug:

Back