Automated Brewing Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrshaund

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to get into Automated brewing (Herms) and would like to start buying parts here and there, was wondering if there are any specific plans out there as to what is needed and how it is done.

I am sure this has been asked but am on lunch at work. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

PS

Planning on going electric

I guess for us to help you we need some more info:
Budget?
Skills - confident with wiring/power, coding, etc.
limitations?
Any system preferences, brewtroller, BCS, PID based?

theelectricbrewery.com

^this. If you don't/can't duplicate it exactly, it at least gives you a plan to modify.

At the very least you'll want to install heating elements in kettles (find the kettles first). You can search that on here and find many of our installs.

Well as far as budget trying to just keep it in a basic 1000.00 budget area for now not looking for anything huge. As for wiring My brother in law is an electrician so he will be helping in exchange for beer. I was looking to go with a PID system. Other than that I am not real knowledgeable in this area yet, just looking to get some ideas for a basic starter point that i could possibly upgrade as I got.

For stand i was gonna go with something like a weldless build in this post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-weldless-build-using-strut-363128/

Unless you already have a good bit of equipment I think you will be really hard pressed to get in at 1k IMO. You will need all the standard AG equipment plus the HERMS coil, heating elements, and two pumps I highly recommend.

For the control panel you have the enclosure, electrical connectors, PIDS and PID wires, SSR's, a smattering of other odds and ends and all the wires, connectors, and switches. Then the brewstand you said you will need.

So, like I said, its a pretty expensive endeavor and your ability to do it for 1k will really depend on what you already have to work with and you ability to sacrifice quality and the system you really want for immediate gratification. In my experience half assing things up front to save money tends to cost much more down the road.

For me, I have been working for about 3 years on my system upgrade without having one new item in my current brew setup to show for it. I do have a big pile of parts ready to go together and some nice new kettles on the way. But, until then I am being patient with my old gas fired system knowing that when all is said and done I will not sit and think, "hmmm, I really wish I had spent a little more and done this or that and now that I didn't changing it will cost $100's and hours of my time."

Yeah I am in no rush was just more or less gonna start purchasing stuff here and there In the mean time I have my gas all grain setup, was more less just looking for ideas of what i need to start buying for it. as for the 1k budget its ok to go over, and after pricing control panels I seen that. all though I did see some PIDs on ebay for farely cheap so maybe start there and the electric heating elements.

Local brew supply says he can get the ones for in the kettle at 150.00

Yeah I am in no rush was just more or less gonna start purchasing stuff here and there In the mean time I have my gas all grain setup, was more less just looking for ideas of what i need to start buying for it. as for the 1k budget its ok to go over, and after pricing control panels I seen that. all though I did see some PIDs on ebay for farely cheap so maybe start there and the electric heating elements.

Local brew supply says he can get the ones for in the kettle at 150.00

Elements are cheap. You can get those and install into kettles for peanuts. It's the pumps, panel, controller, etc that's costly. The stand can be wood if you want to save cash, or find a deal in Craigslist for a SS table

One thing I would suggest is make a list of all the parts you will need and where you will get each part from. This way you can order all the parts from each vendor all at once to keep from getting hammered with shipping charges.

Yeah I thought about the wood route, seeing as I actually have a wood shop in the basement I have been digging on the forum for different stand ideas using wood. Pumps I plan to pick up 2 with in the next couple weeks.

I at least get the summer to save the stuff to start on it seeing as my main push has been my wife deciding I can no longer brew in the house, and it gets pretty cold to sit in Mi over the winter. So i am going to use the back room of my garage for an electric brewing set up.

Back