First BIAB!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panfishrfun

Reaction score
Well I have done a few AG batches, but I decided to try a BIAB recipe because it sounded interesting. Well the process is pretty straightforward, and easy to do, but I missed my OG by ~8 points. I was targeting 1.062 and I only hit 1.054, is this normal to have a lower efficiency with BIAB?
I like this method of brewing and maybe i can get better efficiency with some practice and fine tuning.

Can I ask what the mill gap was? How long did you mash in for and at what temperature? How long did you mash out for and at what temperature? More infor please

Most likely the issue was either mash temp control or your crush was not good. I am voting option B. Did you have your LHBS or online retailer do the crush? Ask next time for double crush.

It's normal to have a higher efficiency with BIAB because of the finer crush this method allows. Have your grains double crushed and see if you notice the difference.

I mashed at 154 degrees for a little over an hour, I crushed my own grains at the LHBS, only crushed them once though, I will double crush them the next time and see what happens

If you're the inquisitive type and have access to iodine, do the iodine test for starch at various times. I've been told that with BIAB and a fine crush your conversion will be done in 15 to 20 minutes but I haven't tested that myself. I just know that the wort is really cloudy when I first add the grain from the starches and that I have seen it clear and taste sweet in about 15 minutes.

Wow I hadn't heard that conversion happens that quickly, I am interested in this. I will perform he iodine test next time I do a BIAB, I normally do it with my AG batches. I guess I just didn't think to do it with the new style of brewing.

I say get a double or finer crush. I typically see a drop of about 3-4 degrees over my hour long mash. That doesn't concern me too much though because it usually hold pretty good for the first 20-30 mins. I usually let it sit undisturbed for 20 mins then stir it every 15 after that. The temp drops, but I find stirring the mash helps the efficiency. I have been getting around 75%.

Back