Odell IPA tasting notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsPlease

Reaction score
Odell IPA is easily my favorite beer on a day to day basis. I have noticed that sometimes it tastes sofa-king good and sometimes it just tastes good. I am always trying to come up with justifications on why the odell ipa at "this" bar doesn't taste as good as the same beer at "that" bar. With the bottles, there is a little variance but it is usually related to the beer bottle date. Anyways, tonight I got an Odell Ipa at a local bar and it tasted oh sofa king good. I instantly noticed though that it had an extremely cloudy look..... almost like an unfiltered wheat beer. I have tasted the odell ipa tasting like this before but i have never noticed it being so cloudy. It is usually pretty clear. I asked the bartender about it and she said it is a new keg. What am i noticing here? I love this beer and want to "duplicate" it so I am just trying to become familiar with its variances and what makes it "optimal".

Right on.... I love mercenary too and I also feel like sometime the mercenary is excellent and sometimes its lacking a little. I wonder what makes this variance? I am much more familiar with the IPA though having drank god knows how many of them.

I prefer myrcenary...their normal IPA is too floral for my tastes.

I love the mercenary as well! I wonder what makes the ipa so much more floral than the Myrcenary? I can also tell differences in one myrcenary from another. I am not as familiar with it though.

The main reason I started this thread last night was because of my passion for odell ipa and my desire to make a beer similar to it. Last night I was served two odell ipa's draft and they both came out looking light colored and creamy where you couldn't see through it at all. What did they do special to this batch? It tasted amazing:ban:

First of all, I just had my first Odell's IPA at a local restaurant called RockWoods last night, so timely post. I really dug this beer. It's solidly in my top 5 IPA's that I've tried (maybe 12-15 total). Not the hoppiest, but one of the brightest.

When it's "Sofa King Good", are the hop aromas and flavors brighter? Obviously can't answer your Odells question as my sample size is 1. But I have noticed on some of my own APA's/IPA's that the hop flavor/aroma is strongest right when I tap a keg (Captain Obvious). Over time this fades and the yeast falls out completely making for a very clear beer. If I disturb the keg at all, not only does some of the yeast get kicked up, but it seems like some of the hop flavor/aroma returns as well. I might be imagining that, but I don't think so.

I don't think Odell is doing anything different, you're just getting fresh beer.

I don't think Odell is doing anything different, you're just getting fresh beer.

Maybe so but I have been drinking it religiously for a year now and have never noticed it look so creamy and impossible to see through. I am drinking one right now from bottle and I can see right through it

First of all, I just had my first Odell's IPA at a local restaurant called RockWoods last night, so timely post. I really dug this beer. It's solidly in my top 5 IPA's that I've tried (maybe 12-15 total). Not the hoppiest, but one of the brightest.

When it's "Sofa King Good", are the hop aromas and flavors brighter? Obviously can't answer your Odells question as my sample size is 1. But I have noticed on some of my own APA's/IPA's that the hop flavor/aroma is strongest right when I tap a keg (Captain Obvious). Over time this fades and the yeast falls out completely making for a very clear beer. If I disturb the keg at all, not only does some of the yeast get kicked up, but it seems like some of the hop flavor/aroma returns as well. I might be imagining that, but I don't think so.

First of all, I am glad you got to try it. It is in my top 5 favorites that i've tried also ( i have tried over a hundred easily). And I think you may be onto something there.... i wish it tasted like that till the end of the keg

Wish they'd start distributing here in the SE, it's one of my absolute faves!

I hear ya there! I am from TN so whenever I go home for visits I am always missing it. I remember last time I went home though, I found an IPA called Caldera IPA that is distributed around the SE.... pretty dank :tank:

I actually keep a 1/4 keg of Odell IPA on tap pretty regularly (awesome beer!). It's always cloudy so I think that's pretty normal. If you had it at a bar and it was pretty clear I'd guess it's been sitting a long time.

I actually keep a 1/4 keg of Odell IPA on tap pretty regularly (awesome beer!). It's always cloudy so I think that's pretty normal. If you had it at a bar and it was pretty clear I'd guess it's been sitting a long time.

Right on.... Maybe it is more likely to be cloudy in kegs than bottles. I always tumble my bottles gently before opening to mix up any yeast and it still comes out clear. Maybe kegging is just the way to go

Right on.... Maybe it is more likely to be cloudy in kegs than bottles. I always tumble my bottles gently before opening to mix up any yeast and it still comes out clear. Maybe kegging is just the way to go

Personally I'm sofa king tired of bottling. Can't wait to get a Keg fridge going.

I wonder if it's an Odell's thing? I frequently pick up 4-packs of Myrcenary, and about 2/3 of the time it's awesome. The other 1/3 is literally meh.

I've not experienced this inconsistency with other IPA's that I buy. I'm only a state away, so I would think it would always be fairly fresh. Unless the distributor has some old mixed with new?

Back